Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Mara POV

I woke up to the smell of delicious chocolate pancakes in the kitchen. Shit! Today is my first day as the daughter-in-law of Clandevis house. I did not know when my eyes went closed yesterday. Betrayal and dejection are inferior words to describe my mental affliction. 

Shannon blew my heart to a million pieces showing me his true colors on our wedding night. Wiping my eyes that were already drizzling with tears with the recollection of yesterday’s events, I went to the washroom for a cleanup. 

"You are up?" Shannon asks excitedly as soon as he notices me at the entrance of the kitchen. Something is seriously wrong with this guy. He changes his colors like a chameleon. 

My hands stay still to my sides as he hugs me.  I was such a fool to believe his every word. Why would a billionaire like him choose an average looking middle class girl like me? He just used me for the satisfaction of his physical needs. 

But why only me? He could have any girl warm his bed for the beautiful looks he possesses? Why did he marry me when I was just a pastime for him? Using me like trash paper and abandoning me was much better than getting bound to a nuptial knot. There were several questions clogging my mind.

Shannon's eyes were swollen and red as he released me after a moment. My eyes went around the crystalline, sanitized house. He understands my question and replies in chuckles. "Mom and dad left this morning unexpectedly. One of my cousins had a premature delivery today. Her parents were not on time to help her because they are traveling from another city. In the meantime mom and dad went to take care of her."

I nod my head suddenly feeling frigid and turn back to go to the bedroom but he stops me holding my upper arms. "I am sorry for yesterday." His eyes went slightly moist meeting my eyes. "I was drunk and did not know what I was doing." He hugs me again and whispers husky in my ear. "Complete eating those hot pancakes with the chocolate sauce. I prepared your favorite. And then we can go back to the bedroom to finish yesterday's incomplete task." 

I went back to my trail of thoughts. How can a person go opposite poles within a span of a few hours? At one moment he is a devil and the next second he turns to be an Angel as if born only to make me happy.

My eyes meet him in disbelief locked in a trance. He taps on the door to bring me out of my thoughts and winks telling me in jubilance. "Eat fast and get ready for bed. I gave leave to all the servants in the house so that no one is going to disturb us."

It was the first time I felt fear for staying with Shannon alone. He is the man I admired, loved and respected all from my heart. The newly knowing side of him is still like a puzzle in my heart which makes me feel the goosebumps of unrest. My life which till a day ago felt like a bed of roses suddenly turned into a suspenseful movie.

"I apologize I am not in a mood." I tell him, looking to my feet and not meeting his eyes. Shannon always told me to look into the person with whom I was talking. I followed his advice from then on with everyone in the office but for him. It is not that I wanted to disrespect him. It was my shyness because I secretly had feelings for him from the day we first met but now it is purely the fear.

I cannot share my life with a person who has skeletons buried in his closet. This man is dangerous, surely something that I could never predict. He is mysterious with a split personality but the tragic news is I learned about it just yesterday. 

He told me he was drunk. Why would he drink beyond control on his wedding night as if he is the Romeo whose marriage went against his interest? Isn’t it that we both fell in love with each other and got married? With his behavior it seems like it is not true. I better try not to get under the devil's skin and invent more problems. In the meanwhile I should find a way to get out of his spirited realm. This looks much more like a well planned game. Otherwise there was nothing which went wrong between us in a fortnight.