eighteen

Alex

"Damn, when you told me to go to hell I didn't know you meant it that literally," I heard a raspy voice, making me pull my face from Grayson quickly. 

"Theo?" I questioned with wide eyes. "Damn, bitch grazed me." He complained, bringing his hand to the side of his head. There was blood dripping down the side of his face. "You are one relentless son of a bitch," Grayson spoke relieved, running over to him. 

I ran over to him quickly also and wrapped my arms around him. "We need to get him back to the compound, he could have brain damage. He definitely needs stitches." Grayson spoke, causing me to pull away.

"He's right, we need to get you medical help." I agreed, helping him to his feet. He staggered slightly, so Grayson caught his other side.

"We need to take him out the back, if they happen to be in the front they'll kill him for real this time," Grayson spoke, pointing to the back door. I nodded as we carried him out.

"Wait, something isn't right," I started, adjusting my grip on Theo's arm. "Somehow they knew exactly where we were. Crimson has been knowing our moves before we have even been able to make them." I spoke, looking at Grayson's confused face.

"Either someone's on the inside helping, or-" I added, but Theo's head lifted up. "Camera's, it has to be cameras." Theo's voice spoke with very little power. He was right, no one in the house could be helping. It has to be cameras. I remember Larce mentioning them when we were there, but I never recalled it exactly.

"Call Ryan, tell him to tear the place apart." Grayson ordered and I nodded.

-

I walked out of the infirmary and ran my hand through my hair. That was not Ethan. I couldn't recognize the person that I loved standing in front of me. He's gone. 

"Alex, how is he?" Ryan jogged down the hallway to me. "He's lucky. I don't know how the hell he managed to get grazed by such a close-range shot." I responded quietly, looking down. 

Ryan said he took down all of the cameras that he could find. If he missed even one, and they see that Theo is alive, they'll come back and finish the job. Ethan will come back and finish it. 

"Hey, he's going to be okay. Why don't you go upstairs and get cleaned up." Ryan spoke with concern covering his face as he rubbed my arm gently.  

"I'm gonna head back out. Get cleaned up back at home," I responded. I don't want him to think I'm staying. 

"That's your decision. I'm not going to try and make you stay. Just be safe out there, please." He smiled at me lightly, making me nod in response. "Love you," I smiled back, before walking away.

I made it onto the front porch before I was stopped. "Alex," I heard Grayson's voice, causing me to turn around. The porch light was illuminating him in the darkness. 

"He's going to be okay, you can stop beating yourself up about you guys' little argument." He tried smiling at me, but I couldn't fake another one tonight.

"He's gone," I said suddenly. I felt the burn in the back of my throat from approaching tears. He didn't respond, and when I turned around he was looking at me with a saddened look.

"He thinks that he killed Theo. He pushed me out of the way like I was nothing, then pulled the trigger with no hesitation." I continued, the events from earlier flashing through my mind. 

"What happened to the usual ambitious, aspirational Alex?" Grayson tried to lighten the mood by joking with me, but it was making it worse.

"If you saw the look he gave me Grayson, you would know." I responded. "You know Ethan, he wouldn't just do that. Crimson has something over his head," He said back. He tilted his head to try and see my face but I turned away.

"What lengths is he willing to go then? What if he's ordered to kill someone, and they actually die next time?" I asked. I finally turned around to face him and I could tell he didn't have an adequate answer waiting. 

"Have faith in him. We can't give up on him that easy," He half smiled at me. He placed his hand on my arm gently. I couldn't help but feel a little better with him standing here. His eyes had a way of comforting me with this one certain look.

"I should get going," I spoke. I blinked a few times to get my focus back on track. I went to walk down the stairs but I saw Grayson's boots following. 

"What are you doing?" I asked, furrowing my brows at him. "I'm respecting your decision to leave, but I'm going with you." He responded nonchalantly, walking ahead of me. 

"The point of leaving was to give myself space," I responded, crossing my arms. "You'll have an entire upstairs away from me. I'll take your guest bedroom downstairs." He smiled at me mockingly and continued walking. 

I rolled my eyes at his choice and caught up to him. 

-

Ethan

"You did good back there!" Crimson laughed, shoving me a little. I wiped my face with my hands and continued walking straight. 

"You should have seen him Larce. Showed Alex real good," Crimson spoke proudly, walking over to Larce. 

I made a b-line straight for my room. As soon as I got up there I ran straight to the bathroom and began throwing up in the toilet. 

My body collapsed beside it once everything in my stomach was gone. I wiped my mouth with the back of my arm and rested my head on the side of the shower. 

What the hell did I do? There's no going back after this. Alex hates me, there's no doubt. She was happy to see me. The look in her eyes when she saw my face, the instant light that appeared. Just for me to distinguish it by pushing her and pulling that trigger.

Not to mention Grayson. The only time I've ever seen that look in his eyes is when I hit rock bottom when Alex left. I really have hit rock bottom. It sucks down here. 

-

--

---

Hi. How is everyone? I hope you're doing well, and I also hope you enjoyed this chapter. Theo is OKAY. I'm sorry for scaring you haha. Theo of all people ain't gonna go out by a single bullet, right? That's not poetic enough for him. 

Love you guys. Stay safe,

xoxo,

-h <3