thirty-two

Alex

It's officially our last week of school. The last week I will ever walk these halls. The smell of weed and cigarette smoke at the ass crack of dawn will be no more. Well, that's if everyone splits up. I feel like Landon wears marijuana cologne sometimes. 

I opened my locker and smiled at all the pictures and stickers I was going to have to take down soon. So much has happened in my high school career, it's insane. 

"Hi, Alex." My English teacher smiled at me, causing me to smile back immediately. "I just wanted you to know that I sent those students' college recommendation letters as you asked," She spoke to me again with the same smile. 

I forgot I asked her to do that. A while back she told me she was sending one for me. She has Grayson and Ethan as students also and I knew they weren't going to ask for themselves so I asked for them. 

"You guys should be receiving your response letters from the colleges soon, if not this week." She spoke once more. "Thank you so much," I thanked her with a genuine smile before she nodded and turned away.

"Oh and Alex, I also sent some of your work with the letter. They really liked your writing style. You could have an internship at a publishing company as early as sophomore year," She added before she walked away.

I was shocked myself at her effort for me. My own mother hasn't even tried that hard in my lifetime. 

As I was reminiscing about the good parts of these halls, my mind was pulled to a more negative memory; a fresh one. Ethan and Grayson's senior prank night brawl. 

My eyes made a forbidden quick glance over to Grayson's locker, but he wasn't there. In fact, I don't remember seeing his car in the parking lot this morning. He's been driving separate from Ethan ever since... you know. 

Hazel was prancing toward me right in time for my question. "Where is Grayson?" I asked her. She brought her lips inward and took a deep breath causing me to furrow my brows.

"Hazel, what is it?" I asked her impatiently. "He's kind of on this whole 'I give up one everything' bender right now. I guess that includes graduating high school," She answered me unsure of herself, causing me to let out a frustrated sigh. 

He can't give up now. I won't allow it. We have both worked way too hard for him to throw this all away.

I closed my locker and grabbed my keys. "Do me a favor and don't tell anyone I left," I told her nicely, causing her to invisibly zip her lips shut. 

I walked into the compound and made a B-line for Grayson's room. I stood in front of his door with sweaty palms for a good three minutes before I gained the nerves to knock. 

After a few seconds, I saw the gold metal of the door begin to turn, along with my stomach. As soon as his eyes met mine, he seemingly melted. 

He went to close the door back after he solidified his facial expression back, but I caught it with my hand.

"You don't have to talk back, or even look at me for God's sake. But you are going to listen to what I have to say." I stated in the sternest voice I could muster. He rolled his eyes after a moment of studying my new assertive persona before opening his door for me.