Nostalgia - Chapter 6

It was a cold autumn evening. Two little girls were playing by a huge apple tree up a hill. They could get the best view of the sunset and twilight up there. Autumn leaves fell around them, the ambience was cooling. The sun was finally setting behind the horizon.

The braided girl stopped, remembering something. She ran under the shelter of the huge apple tree and grabbed something from her backpack.

"Raishi, come over here! Ah got you somethin' before you transfer to another school." The blonde hair girl called out to her best friend.
"Coming!" The blue girl dashed over in an instant, intrigued to what her friend was about to give her.
"Grandmama knitted this for ya. It's a blue hoodie, like ya colour!" Putting the hoodie around the captivated girl, the young cowgirl took a few steps back as her friend ran around in circles with her new hoodie, like a little kitten with a new collar.
"Awesome! I love it, it's a little oversized, though..."
"Ah'm sorry about that. Ah just hope that you could use it in the future as well. Whenever you're cold, or you decided to take a night stroll in the park, you would put this on and remember me; your best friend, Jackie."
Raishi wrapped her arms around her friend. She hugged back with content. "I would never forget you."
"Ah'm goin' ta miss ya so much."

"Promise me ya'd come back for me, would ya?" Jackie held out her little finger.
Raishi smiled and put her little finger around hers.

"I promise."

.
.
.

"RD?"

"Dash?"

"Rainbow?"

"RAINBOWDASH?"

"Gaahh!"
RD snapped back to reality. It was still dark around her. She and AJ were still sitting on a bench in the park. The park was empty at night. Well, obviously, who would be out here at 3 o' clock in the morning?
Oh, right.

"RD? Ya okay? Ya were gazing off into the distance." AJ had tried to follow RD's eyes to where they were looking at. The barn was located in front of them, up high on a hill.
"Oh, sorry... I just remembered something."

"When you called me 'Raishie', I just zoned out and my mind travelled back in time. To 10 years ago."
RD hesitated for a moment.

The same old emerald eyes.
The same old country girl accent.
The same old lovely, kind and beautiful girl she had met all those years ago.

"Jackie, is that you?"

AJ blinked, a wide smile spreading across her pretty face.
"Ah knew you would never forget me!" AJ threw herself at RD, surprising her with a big warm hug. RD's cheeks were hot.
"How did I not recognise you?" The two girls chorused. RD felt something wet on her right shoulder.
AJ was shedding tears. Passionately, the rainbow-haired girl smiled and patted her friend head once more. The familiar feeling of her fingers brushing against the same old leather hat. She could not believe that her beloved Jackie was here with her all along. Her bestest friend.
"Apples, you're cold," Dash pointed out. She could not help but feel the freezing arms wrapped around her warm body.
AJ pulled herself away, embarrassed. This time, she wrapped her arms around herself.

Dash smiled once more and took off her hoodie. She was wearing a tank top underneath. Delicately, the blue girl wrapped her blue hoodie around AJ, just like how Jackie wrapped the hoodie around Raishi.
It felt warm.
"Thanks, Rainbow."

AJ leaned onto RD's shoulder. No discomfort was coursing through the two girls now.
RD rested her sleepy head on the blonde girl, who had taken off her hat to hug.

"Ya kept your promise."

"Course' I did, silly."

The two friends closed their eyes.