(NINETEEN)

"You said you got into a fight?" Dr. Park stared skeptically over the rim of her glasses. "What did you fight, a badger? Come on, Jiwoo, tell me what really happened."

Jiwoo tried not to show that she was irritated. "Isn't it pretty obvious I got into a fight? I have a black eye and bruises on my hands." She rolled her eyes. "It doesn't matter why it got so bad, please just help me."

Dr. Park nodded. "Okay," she said, "I'm going to need you to lean back. Perfect. This is gonna sting, but it's just a cleaning solution." She injected a topical numbing medicine immediately after cleaning so Jiwoo wouldn't feel the needle. Of course Jiwoo was aware that would happen, but she was rather upset that she'd have to lay there for another ten minutes while it took effect.

The doctor left the room to see other patients while Jiwoo was waiting. Hyunjin talked at her the whole time, but Jiwoo was far from engaged in the conversation. She kept replaying the fight in her head. Songhee didn't hesitate. She wanted to hurt Jiwoo. Sharp acrylic nails and a right hook to the face – it was like she had been wanting to do it for a while but was unwilling to swing first.

If the cops were ever to get involved, Songhee would tell them that Jiwoo pushed her and made her hit her head. She'd convince them that it was merely self defence. What a snake.

Jiwoo was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't notice Dr. Park's return, nor did she notice as they mended the gashes on her hip, or the doctor's advice for how to take care of the stitches and prevent them from getting infected. Fortunately, Hyunjin had been listening, and she had already planned on taking care of her sister, so it was a perfect match.

On the way home, Hyunjin suggested that they call their father.

"No," Jiwoo snapped, "We don't need to bother him. It's the middle of the night where he is, and there's no reason to wake him up. I'm fine, I promise."

"If a single thing goes wrong, I'm calling him," Hyunjin warned.

Jiwoo nodded. "Hey, can you do me a solid and take me by the bookstore before we go home? We're gonna pass it anyway."