(FORTY-SEVEN)

Jiwoo stared at Sooyoung who was asleep beside her and thought about how much her life had changed since their meeting. She had become a much better person – more trusting, more kind, more willing to try to love the world. She still struggled to believe that the world had much good in it, so loving it wasn't easy. But loving Sooyoung was the easiest thing for Jiwoo now.

Of course, at first she was afraid. How could she not be? Her history was far from spotless, and her resentment toward the world had been building up so much for so long. Then Sooyoung came into her life and took down her walls, brick by brick, until she reached Jiwoo's heart.

"What are you thinking, baby?" Jiwoo jumped at Sooyoung's voice breaking the silence. She ran her fingers through Sooyoung's hair and smiled at her sleepy face.

"How much I love you," Jiwoo cooed. She giggled and continued, "My life is so different now, and it's all because of you. You never pushed my boundaries. Never once. Do you know how crazy that is? I'm shocked every time I think about it. You never did anything I didn't say yes to."

Sooyoung replied, "Why would I do something if you hadn't said yes? I love you, Jiwoo, I would never want to hurt you. Getting consent shouldn't be a high standard. That's the bare minimum. I'm glad it makes you happy, though. You deserve all that and more."

Suddenly Jiwoo began fidgeting with her fingers, staring at her hands instead of her girlfriend. "But I don't," she mumbled, "I feel like I'm dirty and I make you dirty, too. I mean, I wasn't treated like a person back then. And even now that I've changed, people still hate me for the things I did. Even your mom hates me. I just feel bad putting you through the trouble of loving me."

"No." Sooyoung lifted Jiwoo's face so she could see her clearly. "I don't care what my mom thinks. I don't care what anybody thinks! You're important to me. They don't know you the way I do, so they don't get an opinion," she stated firmly. "Loving you is no trouble at all. It's a privilege."

Jiwoo hugged Sooyoung tightly and buried her face in the girl's chest. "Thank you," she said, her voice muffled by Sooyoung's shirt. "You taught me how to love myself. You taught me how to love in general! And I love you so much. You're perfect. Sooyoung, you're the only person who's ever made me believe I really held value."

"I love you, Jiwoo. Don't ever forget that. You deserve love, and you deserve to know you have value."

end.
final word count:
26,448

thank you for reading!