(TWENTY-SIX)

Weeks had gone by since the pair had finally reconnected. Every day, Jiwoo opened her heart to Sooyoung a little more. She still hadn't given any specifics as to what Songhee had done to her or made her do, and she still hadn't figured out a way to tell Sooyoung about what kind of person she had been.

She was worried. "Don't you think I'm trusting her too much, too fast?" Jiwoo asked her sister.

Hyunjin munched on her chips and scoffed. "Considering you see her for, like, at least five hours a day when she's not working, no I think most people would trust her more than you do by now."

Jiwoo flopped onto the couch. "But summer's already more than halfway over. School starts again in a couple weeks," she complained, "What if Sooyoung doesn't want to be my friend anymore once we go back to school? Then I'd have wasted my summer trying to be close to someone who doesn't care about me."

The younger girl looked dumbfounded. "Do you think a girl who 'doesn't care about you' would call your sister crying to make sure that you're okay?" She didn't give Jiwoo a chance to speak before continuing. "If she didn't care about you, do you think she'd drive fifteen minutes to get here every day to hang out with you? If you seriously think a girl who celebrates your little milestones 'doesn't care about you', then you're fucking delusional. Sooyoung is great, Chuu, try to give her a chance to really know you. She wants to make you happy."

Jiwoo had paid attention to Hyunjin's heartwarming speech, but she refused to acknowledge it for fear of becoming too emotional. Instead, she asked, "I know it's after midnight, but would it be weird if I asked her to come over?" She didn't wait for a response before texting Sooyoung. She was surprised to have gotten a response so fast, but was thrilled with the answer.

After the fight, Jiwoo had gotten a new phone with a new number. So no Songhee, no anybody trying to hit her up. Only her best friend who lit up her day as well as her screen.

Sooyoung walked into the house without knocking, as was expected of her by this point. She had a spare key because she was always up earlier than the Kim sisters, and she frequently showed up to wake Jiwoo and take her on adventures. Jiwoo saw her and sprinted down the hallway, leaping forward into Sooyoung's arms. Sooyoung held her close and spun around a few times as they both laughed. But when Sooyoung set her down, Jiwoo didn't let go. She kept her arms around Sooyoung's neck and simply stared up at her. The older girl gently ran a hand through Jiwoo's hair. Her eyes fluttered shut as she savoured the feeling and leaned into the touch.

"Somebody's clingy tonight, huh?" Sooyoung teased, pushing Jiwoo's face up with a finger beneath her chin.

Jiwoo pulled away slightly but kept a smile on her face. "Sorry," she mumbled.

Sooyoung's eyes widened. "Come back," she said as she scooped Jiwoo off her feet and into her arms, "I like clingy Chuu, she's cute. No way am I gonna miss out on this opportunity!" She pulled Jiwoo closer and ran up the stairs.

Jiwoo shouted as Sooyoung tossed her into the pile of fluffy pillows and blankets on her bed. She rolled to the side and Sooyoung jumped after her, taking her previous place.

"What do you wanna do?" Sooyoung asked.

Jiwoo hesitated. "Well," she muttered, "With the whole 'trusting' thing... I wanted to try something."

"What is it?"

"I want you to stay here tonight. And we'll both sleep in my bed. And I'll actually go to sleep this time! I think I trust you enough to sleep," she excitedly explained, "I want to prove to both of us that I trust you."

Sooyoung nodded. This was a huge step for Jiwoo. She never slept with her door unlocked, let alone with another person in the room. Not even her sister.

They both laid down. Sooyoung made sure there was a bit of space between them since she knew Jiwoo wasn't a particularly touchy person.

So you can imagine her shock when Jiwoo whined and pulled her closer, wrapping an arm around her waist. She rested her head on the older girl's shoulder and tried to concentrate so she could hear Sooyoung's heartbeat. Sooyoung's heartbeat was the most calming thing in Jiwoo's life – aside from Sooyoung herself, of course.

Sooyoung knew Jiwoo liked to hear her heartbeat, and it was absolutely adorable to her. "Heartbeat?" She asked, already knowing what Jiwoo was doing. Jiwoo nodded. "Give me your hand," Sooyoung instructed. Of course, the younger girl complied. Sooyoung pulled Jiwoo's hand toward herself, and Jiwoo flinched. "Did I hurt you?"

"No," Jiwoo breathed, "I just got scared. Continue whatever you were doing. I trust you."

Sooyoung set Jiwoo's hand over her heart and held it in place with her own. After only a few minutes of feeling Sooyoung's heartbeat, Jiwoo was far more relaxed. She even fell asleep, still cuddled close to Sooyoung, where she felt safest.

"I'm proud of you," Sooyoung whispered to a sleeping Jiwoo, "This is so much progress. I'm baking you a friggin' cake tomorrow."