Part Thirty Two

Chapter Thirty Two

 A/N An extra chapter, inspired by truepurple1's request! :) Enjoy!

Sonny watched Martha enter the farmhouse then heard the rewarding sound of the door locking behind her. Finally she starts to listen to reason, shaking his head in amazement he followed the sound of the car engine around the back of the house and along the track to the road. They’d cut the lights, and there wasn’t much moonlight so he was glad his eyes had accustomed to the dark, probably a lot more than whoever had climbed out of the car. He had an advantage.

As he approached the vehicle he could recognise Johnny immediately, he was wearing a baseball cap and a black jacket, as invisible as he could be, but he’d recognise those ears anywhere, and his companion despite also being dressed head to foot in not at all suspicious black, couldn’t be missed,  the physique and height gave Gripper away beside him. They were unbolting one of the gates, fortunately it wasn’t a busy field, though that wasn’t the point. they were doing it to cause damage, and he had to fight the surge of anger that caused.

Sonny still had the benefit of both the darkness and surprise in his favour; the two buffoons were now using torches, so he could see them clearly. He just needed to ensure that there were only two of them, he wasn’t about to be jumped and rumbled by others, that would potentially be the worst thing that could happen. Circling around of the back of the car they’d abandoned at the top of the driveway, he was glad to see the vehicle empty. There was no sign of any other car either.

He’d have the element of surprise over the two, this was an ambush he couldn’t lose, but it was all about the end result. He had to keep up the pretence that Johnny was both a stranger and in this situation an enemy, so he had to attack him first, that was essential. Then Sonny saw an avenue, a way to push Johnny closer to Oldbury, and Oldbury further towards the set up.

Moving away from the two he sent a text message to Martha, ‘Intruders, call the police’.

He waited a moment until the return message said, ‘On their way, you ok?’

Crouched behind the hedge he smiled, ‘Yes. Following your instructions, letting the professionals deal with this.

He was determined to bide his time, but once the gate to the field creaked and fell to the floor, and the two burst into hushed laughter, he knew he had to act. They weren’t going to stay there forever, and who knew how long the police would be, they were as rural as this community got.

Flying from his hiding position he launched himself at Johnny who was in a half squat position, and the two rolled on to the floor, with a grunt he got a punch in, but it was then he spotted the other figure starting to escape. Groaning as though he’d been hit himself, he jumped up from his position over the prostrate Johnny.

He hissed at him, “run, police are coming!” Then hurtled after the rather cumbersome Gripper. After a few seconds Sonny had closed on him and rugby tackled him to the floor. Ignoring the grunts and groans, he pinned the lump to the floor face down, and sat on his back just as the blue lights and sirens of the police cars appeared on the horizon. Pulling the hood of the sweater from around his captive’s head, Sonny let out a theatrical gasp.

                “Gripper! YOU! What are you doing damaging the gate?” The fake innocent reaction at finding him there only riled the other man even more.

Gripper grunted, and at that moment Sonny called out to the police officers who had come to a stop near the abandoned car.

As two officers came across to him, he pulled Gripper to his feet, just as Martha appeared; she’d jogged across the fields as she saw the blue lights of the police cars approaching, wanting to help surprise the assailants.