Part Eighty Two

Chapter Eighty Two

                “So how did it go?”

Martha was sat opposite Ethan in McDonalds as he devoured a Happy Meal when her phone buzzed. Trust Sonny to presume that she’d taken his rather firm advice and gone to see her father. She sipped at her milkshake before replying.

                “He was out, argued with Steph instead. Not ready to deal with it yet...more pressing issues to manage.”

She could almost hear him laughing in his reply text. “That’s what I am? An issue?”

                “You’re a problem Carter, that’s no lie. :-)

 The addition of a smiley face would make him laugh she knew.

                “Mum, can we go see Granddad? I want to feed the chickens.”

Lifting her head from her phone, she gave it a shake, “not tonight, this was your treat, we’ve got to get you in the bath and then bed, you’ve got school again tomorrow.”

He groaned, “but I want to see the chickens.”

                “Why don’t I ask Granddad if you can stay over one night on the weekend? Then you can feed them and see the dogs, you might even get a ride on one of Mrs Willoughby’s ponies. You’ll love that.”

He nodded enthusiastically, “great!”

Sonny watched Michael drive away, then leaned against the wall outside the pub. He’d truly felt like part of his family that afternoon, Michael had swept through the golf club on hugely familiar terms with everyone there, and had shown no qualms or apprehension at introducing him, the person that he’d been, as his long lost son. It had stunned Sonny and he’d been rendered speechless as he tried to process that. But within a few hours, and after a few glasses of wine with the extravagant dinner they ate after the socialising, he could sit back in wonder rather than be so scared.

He could barely believe that the last few days had happened. On the weekend he’d been in despair, now he had optimism and happiness. His father was proud; he had the perfect woman, the woman of his dreams wanting him in his life. He deserved none of it, but for some reason he had it and for the first time in his existence he was grateful for the path his life had taken to bring him there. He was almost tempted to call Marcus and thank him for doing this, for orchestrating things. But he’d never do that.

Looking up the road, he saw the restaurant, the doorway to Martha’s home.

Striding across the car park, he stopped at the groomed flower beds that flanked the beer garden. There were a few daffodils, the only early spring flower showing it’s face. So he picked six stems, and marched to her home. Lying them carefully on the doorstep, he smiled, then headed off to work, hoping that she’s appreciate his tiny gesture.

The flat was empty when they got back, but with music playing - Ethan’s choice some random pop song that he knew every word to and sang at the top of his voice from the bath, they got prepared for the following day. Aunt Lucy had gone out, a bingo night. She normally got back around nine, if Ethan was asleep and there was a glass of sherry for her, her Aunt would be more than happy to baby sit, and she could sneak off to see Sonny...and she was counting down to that.  Suddenly that was all that the evening was, a long wait. She glanced up to the handful of daffodils that sat on her small table in a jug of water and smiled. No note was needed. He was trying, trying to show her how he felt and for that Martha was happy. The thought of going to the pub later, to spending time with Sonny made her grin.  People would judge her on taking him back, or even fighting for him, but she understood him and knew him, and she couldn’t change the way she felt. She didn’t want to.