Lying Little Brothers

I knew I was testing my luck by staying out late with Dally and Jonny. But it was only a half hour past my curfew, so I didn't think Darry would be that mad. Sodapop stays out late all the time. I'd probably just get a small lecture and then sent to bed. What I didn't expect, was to get into a huge fight with Soda. Let me explain...

 It was a few weeks after I almost ran away, and me and Darry were getting along better than normal. I guess that's why I thought I could push him tonight. Dally, Johnny and I were hanging out at Dally's place. It was getting late, and I mentioned about having to be back home before 10:00. Dally just laughed and said how he would hate being a kid and having a curfew. Dally calling me a kid made my blood boil. He was only 17, only a few years older than me. He was still a kid himself yet thought of me of me as a child.

I told him I would screw the curfew, Darry could suck it for all I cared.
Dally immediately smiled at me and I could tell I just gained a little bit of his respect. It felt good, and I hoped soon the rest of the gang would stop looking at me like a child as well.

Dally reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a Ziploc bag of weed. I've seen Dally smoke weed a bunch of times, I've even seen Sodapop and Steve join in. I knew I wasn't allowed to do it, neither was Soda. Darry would for sure have Soda's ass if he ever found out he did it. Once Dally was done rolling his joint and smoking it for a few seconds, he handed it over to Johnny who then took a hit and handed it back to Dally.

Johnny knew better than to give me weed, the whole gang knew how Darry didn't approve of smoking weed. He couldn't do much about Dally or the rest of the gang smoking, but they knew Darry would kill them if he found out they gave me weed.

Though for some reason Dally extended his arm over to me. I looked at the blunt that was in between his fingers and then back up at him. "No thanks, Darry would kill me." I told him light-heartedly.

"I thought Darry could suck it?" Dally laughed, an extended his arm out farther towards me.

"Well, um." The truth is, I really wanted to smoke it. I wanted to know how it felt like and I wanted to be one of the guys. Though my gut told me it was a bad idea and I just shook my head.

"Okay, I guess that's probably the smart thing. It's a lot to handle for a kid." Dally shrugged and took another puff.

I could immediately see Dally's shoulders slump and his eyes closed. He looked so relaxed and happy. I wanted so badly to try it.

I reached over and grab the blunt out of his fingers before he could stop me. I held it to my lips and breathed in hardly. I immediately removed the blunt and started coughing. "Whoa! Ponyboy!" Dally yelled. "I didn't actually want you to do it!" Dally ripped the blut back from me. "You know how much hell Darry would give me if he knew I let you smoke.

"But you just offered it to me!" I yelled at him.  My head started to become foggy, and I giggled a little. It was a strange feeling, I didn't care at all about Darry, or him finding out. I was happy and calm, but also exited at the same time.

"Ya, because I knew you weren't going to take it. Jesus pony, You're an idiot sometimes." Dally muttered.

"You let Soda smoke with ya." I muttered, and reached for the blunt that was between his fingers.

"Hey!" Dally held the blunt up way above his head, where I unfortunately couldn't reach it. "I let Soda smoke with me because he's older and can handle it. You're a different story."

"Not true!" I yelled like a child.

"You're going home!" Dally grabbed my arm.

"No!" I yelled. "Johnny, Tell Dal he's being ridiculous."