A Brotherly Christmas

A/N: Merry Christmas everyone! This is a little one shot/flashback type chapter of the Curtis brother's first Christmas together. I know it's short and has lots of cringy fluff but I hope you all still enjoy it!

P.S. A new chapter for the main storyline will be up soon! <3

Ponyboy's POV

It was Christmas Eve, and our first Christmas without our parents. They just died a few months ago and our family was still trying to adapt to our new life. My brother Sodapop just dropped out of high school and got some crummy job at a gas station, and my oldest brother Darry was so stressed about work he barely ever spoke to me.

When he did fine time to acknowledge my presence, we would just end up fighting, so for the most part I kept my distance and so did he.

I wasn't too excited about Christmas, I normally loved the holiday but it seemed weird without my mom and dad. The only thing I was looking forward to was spending a little time with my brothers and hoping we could just have a nice night.

I sat by the TV, putting in a Christmas tape of Rudolph for us to watch together, when Sodapop ran in, wearing his blue DX shirt. "I'm heading out." He yelled and grabbed a beer from the fridge. Both him and Darry have been drinking a lot lately.

"What?" I asked, shocked.

"I have work." Soda told me and headed for the door in a rush.

"But it's Christmas eve." I told him, my heart missing a beat.

"I know, but i'll be back tonight." Soda left without another word.

"I got to go too." Darry said, coming out of the bathroom.

"But-"

"Bye." Darry headed for the door.

"Wait!" I yelled and he turned back around with a groan.

"Can't you stay?" I begged.

"No Pony, some of us have work." He grabbed his coat and then left, slamming the door behind him.

As I stared at the closed door, the opening credits of the movie began the play, and the cheerful music filled the quiet room. Though I felt anything but cheerful. I realized I was going to be spending Christmas eve alone.

For the rest of the day, I watched movies, re-read a book and heated up some leftovers I found in the back of the fridge. I understood that my brother's had work, and it was important that they go, but couldn't they have worked it out so someone could stay home with me? Maybe I was overreacting, but to a thirteen year old, spending Christmas alone was one of the worst things imaginable.

As I sat on the couch, I started to think about what we would be doing if my parents were still with us. My mom would be making the most delicious dinner, Soda would try to help but probably burn something, I would be begging to open a Christmas present early, and my dad and Darry would be watching some sports game on the couch. There would be a beautifully lit Christmas tree in the living room, with a few poorly wrapped presents underneath, and homemade popcorn strings that were draped around it. After eating dinner, we would cuddle on the couch and watch the claymation Rudolph movie, that was my dad's favorite. Then we would go to be and wake up and unwrap presents on Christmas day.

The image was perfect. I wanted it more than anything. But it was impossible. Tears began pouring down my cheeks and I began sobbing into one of the throw pillows.

I didn't hear the door open because of my tantrum, but both Sodapop and Darry walked in. "Ponyboy?" Soda ran over to me. "What happened?"

I pushed Soda away and went back to hugging my pillow. "Pony?" Darry walked over and crouched beside me. "What's wrong?"