Chapter 6

"Good morning, Emma!", Benji exclaimed, waving to his fellow guard, " Did you change your hair-"

"What do you want?"

"Glad you asked! Keon needs 004's phone for research.", he said

The woman was confused, " Why wasn't informed?"

"Ah, you see," Benji brought his hands together in a thoughtful manner, "It was a sudden decision."

"Eh, I think I'd rather check that..."

He panicked. His plan was so close to working! "No! You really shouldn't... Sir has got his hands full at the moment... Uh... And you know how he gets if you disturb his workflow.", he nodded decisively, as if all of the garbage he just spewed was the solid truth.

Emma hesitated, but finally agreed and gave the man 004's phone, not wanting to get of Sir's bad side. Thanking her, Benji turned on his heel and marched back to the cell.

He was extremely pleased with himself but couldn't believe that he hadn't thought of this sooner. This must make John feel a bit better, maybe he'll recognize some of his friends or family. Benji wasn't sure about how helpful that would be, but he knew it was bound to catch John's interest, at least. Hopefully, making him less mopey.

As soon as he was close enough, he jogged to the room and entered, shutting the door behind him. "John!", he exclaimed, "Look what I g- what are you doing?"

The Asset pushed himself away from the toilet bowl, which he was leaning over. Standing up as straight as he could, he wiped his mouth with his stained t-shirt and said, "Oh wow, it's a smartphone... Welcome to the 21st century." He ignored the guard's question and proceed to go and sit on the bed instead.

"You said you wouldn't do that anymore." Benji said, not letting him dodge the subject, "Why did you lie?"

Grinding his teeth, John looked down at the floor and said, "I wanted to get you off my case. It's not like I want to do it... it just... happens.", he gestured to the toilet, then to himself. He let his bangs fall over his eyes, but Benji could still see his cracked, dry lip tremble. The boy clenched his bony hands together, leaning his elbows on his knees.

Benji sighed, uncomfortably. He just wanted to show John the phone... The took the device out and switched it on. When the lock screen lit up, He noticed a photo of a girl with magenta hair smiling faintly at the camera. Benji wondered if it was the 'Sera' that John mentioned back in the day. But he swiped the screen, opening up the keypad and blurring the background.

" You don't happen to remember your passcode, do you?",  he said peeking at him.

"What?  Yeah, I think I do.", he replied and glanced up at him, " Why would you even ask?-", his eyes widened when he noticed that Benji was waving the phone around with a knowing look.

John wasn't sure, but Benji's smug expression was certainly a hint, "Is that mine?", he asked the guard, who nodded, handing the small object to him. He grasped it hesitantly, " T-thanks. How did you get it?"

"Eh, I pulled some strings here and there.", he shrugged and sat down next to him, watching as the boy naturally tapped the correct number sequence.

Tilting his head, John looked at the disorganized wall of apps which completely covered the screen. He decided to focus on the notifications first.

"Look at that!"Benji said, pointing at the small orange circle, over the phone icon, with a 16 in it," You must have a lot of friends. "

"Heh, I doubt that.", John clicked on the icon. He had 4 missed calls, 2 voicemail messages and 10 unread texts. He started to read through the texts he had messages from 'Arlo' and 'Remi' asking him where we was or if he was OK. Those names weren't ringing any bells for him though.