January 2014

The first day of my last semester before I transferred was when I first saw him. I was at practice, running on the track before I hopped in the pool for our first swim set of the swim season. Our coach makes us run, which I don't understand considering it's SWIM team, but I only had to deal with it for one more semester. I was thinking about my classes. Although it was only syllabus week, I couldn't help but think about all of the work I was going to have to complete in the next few months. Not only did I have to complete it, but I had to do well in order to transfer to the college of my choice, University of California, Los Angeles.

Aside from my negative thoughts of school and homework, I let my mind drift to thoughts of this upcoming weekend. After the first week of every semester, all of the athletic teams come together for a party and I could not be more excited for it this year. I was looking forward to hanging out with my team, after being reunited for the first time since last semester, and maybe I was looking forward to showing the guy that broke my heart what he was missing. Over the break there was a rumor that he had started talking to one of the girls on the cheer team. How could I not see this coming? Football players and cheerleaders go together, not football players and swimmers right? Anyways, I was really looking forward to this party. Who knows what would happen at it this semester? Maybe the guy I saw on the track will make an appearance.

Throughout the week I had been talking to all of my friends on the swim team. We were all happy to be back together, but swimming after a month off? It has got to be the hardest thing in the world and it makes me despise practice, but in a few weeks I know I will be back in the rhythm of things and it is totally worth it to be back with my friends again.

One day after morning practice we were all comparing classes, of course, with none of us having any together this semester. I was hoping to have at least one class with my best friend, Casey, because we had different colleges in mind and this would be our last semester of school and swim together EVER. As we were chatting, she mentioned a something about a guy in her class that she hasn't seen on campus before.

Casey pulls me aside so that the others won't listen in on our conversation. Rumors spread fast and she wanted to keep things on the down low. "Gigi, I know Brett and I just broke up, literally mid winter break, but I have my sights set on someone new."

"Already?" I questioned. I was so surprised because right before winter break she was talking about how her and Brett were going to try long distance after they transferred. Casey planned on attending University of California Santa Barbara while Brett planned on going to a school in Texas. But before they could ever try long distance, Brett changed his mind. He claimed he wasn't ready. Maybe that was true, but I had a feeling that something else happened, maybe with a girl on the soccer team.

Casey continues to divulge information on the possible new man in her life. "There is this guy in my history class. I have never seen him on campus before but he is so hot. He sits a few rows in front of me but when he first walked in, we definitely made eye contact at least once. Maybe next class I'll steal the seat next to him."

"Casey, are you sure about this? You and Brett just broke up! I will support you in whatever you want to do, but maybe take some time off before you pursue someone else? What if you and Brett get back together?" I want her to be happy and Brett obviously wasn't the guy for her, but it seemed a bit too soon to go for someone else, especially because I know how long it really takes for Casey to move on.

She grabs my hands and looks me in the eye, jumping up and down with excitement. "Gigi, I know you're just trying to help, but I think we both know what happened between me and Brett, actually, between him and that girl on the soccer team. I can't spend more time on a guy like that. And you know what they say, the best way to get over a guy is to get under another!"