21 - Needle

Arya Stark approaches me long after Leander has left for other duties. I feel her before I see her, watching me from the shadows as I take a drink of water near the weaponry.

"You didn't have to hide, you know," I say, setting down my drink and turning to her. "I would've answered any questions you may have had, regardless of our company."

Arya's hands are clasped behind her as she circles around me. Finally, she settles on a few feet to my side.

"I wasn't hiding," she says coolly. "I was merely watching."

"Indeed," I say, suppressing a smile. "And what did you learn?"

"That you were holding back." She nods to the spot Leander and I were training in. "With that knight. And your training..."

"Robb told you," I guessed. "About where I learned."

Arya shakes her head. "Robb would never betray your trust. That is clear. No, I've seen it before."

"You trained to be a Faceless Man."

She doesn't say anything, taking in my appearance.

"I'll tell you whatever you'd like to know," I offer. "I'll answer honestly."

An imperceptible smile passes her lips.

"Something a dishonest person would say," she says.

"That is true."

"They say you can see things," Arya says, narrowing her eyes.

"I can."

"What kind of things?"

"Whatever the Sight allows me to see."

"A tactical response to evade an answer."

"Then make your questions more specific."

This answer seems to please her, as her face softens if only just a bit.

"Very well," she says. "Tell me something this 'Sight' allows you to see. Something specific."

I take in her guarded form as I contemplate my answer. It's as if she wants to believe, but truly doesn't.

"I can see pieces of a person's past," I say.

"Alright. What can you see in my past?" She gives me a look. "And not something others would easily know."

"Most don't like me looking at their past."

"I simply want to see if you're a liar."

I smile a bit. Then I concentrate on the feeling I get talking to Arya. I focus on her emotions, her mindset, her training. Then, very slowly, pieces begin to come together in my mind as flashes of her journey appear.

"Your journey with the Hound was unpleasant..." I start. "He was on your list. A list that has shortened greatly during your travels." If Arya is caught off guard, she doesn't let on. "But you grew to care for him over time... despite your hatred." I concentrate further. "You were blind for a time... during your training in Braavos. It is what aided you in killing a great foe."

Just as quick as it comes, it fades. I bow a little towards her.

"I hope that will suffice," I say.