- Two -

Jacks P.O.V

-----

Bouncing from couch to couch is all I've done since I've moved away from home.

All I had to do was keep my cool, and things would still be good, okay, or even decent. Instead, I blew up, and ruined everything. After cleaning the mess I made, I ran like the coward I am.

I've counted. Within the last 8 months of living in the small town I've managed to sleep on 43 different couches and hotel beds. I'm lucky enough to have cool coworkers, and friends I've met from bars and worksites.

Sleeping all over the place can really get to you, never having a home, never knowing where you're going to sleep that night.. But it all came to an end when Andrew, a guy I work with came up and offered me to move in.

I set my paint roller down and used the back of my arm to wipe away the dripping sweat.

"What?" I couldn't believe for the first time in forever I was going to have a home, a bedroom, a bed.

"Do you want to move in? We can split the bills evenly." Andrew asks as he pops the top of his water bottle open. "For real?" I feel myself start to smile, I try fighting it but I can't. I'm so excited.

The couch life is over.

Andrew nods before taking a drink of his water.

"You can move in whenever." He says. My excitement begins to fade quickly when I remember that he has a girlfriend.

"What about Lola? She didn't even like when you let me sleep on the couch, and I know she's not giving up her office for me."

Lola. I'm pretty sure the snobby lawyer in training hated my guts. I stayed there two nights in a row, and even though I ordered dinner both nights, and even paid them for letting me stay she still kept that tight lip, closed smile that made me feel awkward, and every time she walked by she would sigh dramatically.. She looked ridiculous, I hope she knows that.

"Don't worry about her. She's gone. The room is yours."

Hell yeah.

"You can move in whenever."

"Man, I don't mean to sound cheesy but you have no idea how grateful I am. I can start moving stuff after work, if that's okay with you." I talk a million words a minute. I talk to fast when i'm excited but I can't help it. 8 months is a long time to be bouncing around, it's about time I have a place.

"I said whenever, Brother."

-

After painting the rest of the house, we pack our gear and head out. I let Andrew know that I have a storage unit I need to go to and he offered to let me use his truck instead of my car so I could make less trips.

My unit wasn't full of crap, just some moving boxes, my bed, some bags of clothes, and a case.

I take some boxes and ratchet strap the box spring and matters on top. I took that first load to Andrews, and after coming back I threw the rest of the Boxes in the back of the truck along with two garbage bags of clothes.

By the time I'm completely done I'm drenched in sweat. It's so humid i'm going to die.

The drive back to his house felt long and miserable, the air stopped working and the window from the window being down didn't help a bit.

Being hit with the wind was like opening an oven.

When I pull into the driveway, I grab the bags of clothes and go inside.

I need a shower. Bad.

When I open the door, the cool air comes rushing at me and I drop the bags to the floor.

"It's so hot my balls are-" my mouth instantly shuts when I see big doe eyes looking up at me. I tear my gaze away from her and look towards Andrew.

"Who is she?" I ask, fighting every urge in my body not to look down at her again.

"Jack, this is my sister, Arden. Arden, this is my roommate, Jack."

Sister. Not good.

My eyes betray me when she stands to her feet and turns my way.

"You might want to go take care of that ball problem." She smiles. Her smile is wide and bright. I try glaring at her, but her smile grows wider.

"Yeah.. You're probably right." I grab for my bags and walk straight down the hall into the bathroom.

I drop the bags again and start up the shower.

No way is this happening. No way.

Already without even knowing her, her smile is burned into my mind.

Her soft lips spread across her face, I bet they'd feel good wrapped around you.

Shut up. Shut up. Shut up.

I try shaking every thought of her away while I wash up, but it's nearly impossible.

I'm beyond weak and I can't afford to like her. I really, really can't. I can't afford to like anyone. Not now. Not ever.

Obsessed, Jack. You mean obsessed.

Shut up. Shut up. Shut up.

After getting out of the shower and drying off, I use my towel and swipe it across the mirror.

Staring at my reflection I see a smirk begin to grow. And I know I need to stay away from the girl that I don't know. I know I do. I could ruin her. I could make things really messy.

I could make things messy really, really fast.

But then again, I never was good at self control. Maybe it'll be different this time. Maybe.

Maybe it'll be different this time.

Maybe.