- Twenty - Seven -

I texted Mason all night, I didn't get a wink of sleep and now I feel dead inside as I brush the knots out of my hair.

Mason: I can't believe you stayed up all night talking to me.

Me: You're my bestie, I'd do anything for you. Also, I'll be there right after school, do you want me to bring you anything on my way up later???

When I don't get a reply I shove my feet into my shoes then meet my dad in the Living Room. He tosses the car keys to me, and there's a red ribbon tied to them.

"Happy birthday." He smirks down at the keys. "What? My birthday isn't for a few more months." I examine the set of keys and notice that they're the keys to the car he's been letting me use. "I don't really use the car that much since getting my new truck, so you can have it." I smile a grateful smile before running to him, wrapping my arms around his neck. I thank him over and over then go out to my car.

As soon as I get in, I text Mason again to let him know the great news. Afterwards, I head to school, and when I grab the books I need out of my locker I feel my phone vibrate.

Mason: Actually, you don't need to come up tonight. Mom and I are going to just rest, I probably shouldn't have stayed up all night

Bummed out I slid my phone into my pocket and carried on with the day. School seems to drag on endlessly, and the drive back home seems even longer.

Getting home, I set my school bag on the couch and toss my keys onto the coffee table and go to the kitchen to get a snack. Once I have a snack and a glass of orange juice I go back and start on my homework for the night. I check my phone over and over waiting for Mason to text but he never does. He really must have been exhausted from staying up all night with me.

After a while I hear a car pull into the driveway, and when I peak out the front window I see my Dad and another car parked behind his. Both people climb out the car and I notice that Jack is the other car.

Before I could gather my school things together they walked through the front door. My dad sets his jacket on the back of the recliner and flops down into it. Jack smiles at me then sits on the other end of the couch. His eyes wander over my sprawled out worksheets.

"What are you guys up to?" I ask as I lean forward and start stuffing the papers into my binder. "Jack was working in our building today, a few offices are getting redone, but I asked if he wanted to come by and hangout for a bit, it's been a while since I last saw him."

I look over at Jack, and smile a small smile. "That's nice of you, he's in much need of guy time." and just then my phone vibrates against the table. "Please be Mason." I mumble, and my dad sits up in his seat. "Did something else happen since he woke up?" My Dad asked and I shook my head. "No, we were texting for a while, and he stopped to rest and it's been a few hours." I explain.

I opened the text but it wasn't from Mason, it was from my mom, asking how Mason is doing. I told her he was resting then slipped my phone into my back pocket and grabbed my things and went to my room.

From my room I can hear Jack and my Dad talking. Their laughter fills my ears for hours. I finish the rest of my homework and wait anxiously beside my phone waiting for Mason to text but, then I realize that I don't need to wait for him, I can just text him myself.

I send him a short Hi, and stare at my phone. Only a few minutes go by before I get a response.

Mason: Hey

Me: Would it be lame if I told you I was bummed that I couldn't come see you?

Mason: Yeah

His short reply hits me right in the feels.