VIII. Missing Piece

It had been months since the fall of Emmeldris, the capital of the Northern Kingdom and of the whole Empire. A city admired for its inaccessibility, located at a peninsula and surrounded by towering glass walls and the ocean itself. His white-walled castle stood at the middle while the rest of the houses laid at its feet. But now the city didn't look the same at all. The fall had blackened it, like a cluster of ashes that was once a vibrant and warm bonfire. Its splendor had given way to desolation and misery. The streets, houses and shops which were once full of life now they were completely abandoned. The only inhabitant left had settled in the castle together with his minions.

The main tower of the castle, which stood beyond the walls like a spire, had a large balcony that offered a magnificent view of the city and which the kings used to go to their village. Dryon was leaning on the marble balustrade. His clear eyes proudly admired his new domains and his pointed ears enjoyed the silence. He wore his hair in a long ponytail like a river of silver and a thick black cape fell from his shoulders to the ground. The royal amulet belonging to the last monarchs of the city was hung on his chest.

The silence was suddenly broken by the raucous voice of one of his henchmen:

"My lord, another king has fallen in Rakhan!" he announced.

"Yes, I read the message from the crow. Now I have the total control of this kingdom. Goblins, elves, dwarfs... All the kingdoms have fallen!" he smirked.

"But there's still this kingdom left, my lord..."

"We already own the capital city. The rest will fall by itself" he replied in a carefree tone "The race of men has always been a difficult race to handle. It has led to its own extinction. But there's not much left until I have the total control"

"My lord, I'm afraid I also have bad news..."

Dryon turned around.

"A troop of Mount Trydar has been defeated..."

Dryon turned around again, ignoring him.

"My lord... They say it's real. The prophecy. The Great Power exists. The soldiers have claimed to see it"

"That's impossible!" Dryon suddenly exploded "King Adyrun was his last wielder and I personally took care of his death!"

"But she has killed the entire troop all by herself"

"She...?"

"She wore a mask, my lord, but a soldier claims that they were attacked by a beast that later turned into a woman"

Dryon's face went pale.

"I want to know everything about that woman. Where she is, where she goes, everything!"

"But my lord..." the goblin laughed "Are you really going to invest your valuable time in a rumor?"

"Don't you dare contradict me!" he barked.

The goblin squealed and hid behind the window frame.

"N-Never, my lord..." he murmured.

"Now go and find her!"

"Yes, my lord! I'll send a raven to all our troops immediately!" he screamed while he came inside the castle running and slipping when he reached a corner.

Dryon whispered as he turned around again and kept staring at the city.

"She will be our best weapon"