XLV. Epilogue

"Daddy, look!"

"For the love of God, Your Majesty!" shouted one of the maids, worried "Get down from there!"

The girl laughed as she clung like a little monkey to one of the branches of the great oak in the garden.

"But I just stopped looking at her for a second!" exclaimed the other maiden "How did you get up there so fast?"

"Don't try to find an explanation," Taka laughed.

"Your Majesty, we ..."

"It's okay, I'll take care of this little monster"

"Daddy!" exclaimed the Princess as she threw herself into her father's arms.

"Come here, sweetheart... You are just like your mother. Completely unpredictable" he said as the maids laughed quietly.

"Daddy, I want to go to play!"

"More? But you haven't stopped all day, Erymid! "

"Please!" she asked, lengthening the last vowel.

"Well, just for a bit, huh?"

"Yay!"

Taka gave her a kiss and they headed to another of the castle's inner gardens. When they arrived, Erymid ran to hug her friend and they went to a corner to play. Taka greeted Ryota with a friendly fist to his forehead and his wife bowed before leaving them alone.

"All good, Your Majesty?" Ryota smiled at him.

"Do not call me that way. Not you"

"I'm sorry" he laughed as they sat on the edge of a fountain "Damn, it's been almost five years and now that I'm starting to get used to it, you tell me not to call you that"

Taka laughed.

"Isn't Tomo here today?"

"He went to talk to some farmers. He says that lately not so much meat arrives at the palace and he wanted to speak personally with them to see what happens "

"This Tomo ... Can't he stop thinking about food for once?"

"Have you seen his children? They look like piglets, they are just like him! "

They both laughed out loud.

"Who would have guessed, huh?" Ryota smiled.

"What?"

"That our children would be born and live in the royal palace of Emmeldris"

"Who knew this would end like this" smiled Taka.

"What happened with Yusuke-senzo?"

"Toru's still in contact with him. Although now that he trains the army I have not been able to speak much with him ... "

"I hope that bitter old man is fine"

"Well, I have to see Yumiko. Can you keep an eye to Erymid too? "

"Sure, see you later" he greeted him.

Taka headed into the garden at the back of the palace as his friend ran after the girls, playing tag. He found you sitting under the big porch where you used to have breakfast on sunny days. You looked distracted.

"How is Your Majesty?" he asked you with a smile as he came over and gave you a kiss.

"Very well, how is Your Majesty?" you laughed.

"Wonderfully well" he smiled as he sat next to you "What were you thinking?"

"What?"

"You seemed thoughtful"

"No, it's nothing ... I was just thinking"

You turned your gaze to the small statue in memory of Aunt Erymid. It was decorated with daisies, her favorite flower. It was not long since it had been six years since his death.

"It seems like we've all been very nostalgic lately ..." Taka said.

"Erymid is growing very fast ..."

"You are both more beautiful every day"

You smiled at him and leaned on his shoulder.

"Where is she?"

"I left her with Uncle Ryota"

"I'm sure he's having a better time than they are"

"I have no proof, but no doubts either," Taka laughed.

"I've been talking to Adarin. He says the new school will be finished in about two months at the most. We should start organizing the inauguration as soon as possible..."

"Yes, but let's relax a bit first" said Taka as he gestured for a servant to bring some wine "You've been locked in the office all day. I've barely spent time with you today ..."

"I won't say no to either of the two" you smiled.

The young servant poured each of you a glass.

"I think you misunderstood me ..." he whispered in your ear mischievously "I said I didn't spend time with you today ..."

You waited for the servant to leave.

"I understood you perfectly" you smiled.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yes, but now we are relaxing right?"

He looked away, like a child who has been forbidden to go to play.

"Sometimes I think I have two children instead of one"

Taka laughed and drank his glass. It had begun to dusk and the sky was beginning to turn a pale orange. Everything was fine. Everything was in its place. And most importantly, it had all been worth it.