Chapter 29: Infected

I woke up in the middle of the night once again. Normally I would go out to the field to read, but something made me stay in bed. Daryls arm was wrapped around me, and the sound of his breathing made me smile. 

I wiggled back into position to get comfortable. Sleeping on my side with Daryls naked chest against my back. I looked down at my hand, playing with the ring. I smiled at it.

I felt Daryl shift beside me, so I turned over. "Good morning handsome." But my eyes finally registered what I was seeing. Bloodshot, empty eyes, and blood surrounding his mouth.

He growls before leaning forward and taking a bite out of my neck. 

I shot up out of bed, breathing heavily. Daryl woke up immediately. He had gotten used to my nightmares and would almost always wake up when I did.

"What happened?" He asks me. I hold my chest, trying to calm down. I turn to him, tears streaming down my face.

He didn't waste any time pulling me into him and back down into bed. He cradles me in his arms. "What was it about?" He whispered, almost as if he was afraid to know the answer.

"You... turned. And attacked me and the baby." I tell him, swallowing hard. This was a rare dream for me to have, but it usually took away for me to fall back asleep after, sometimes days.

His arms tighten around me. "I'm here. Alive and ready to kill anything that comes your way." I laugh faintly. I snuggle into him, sighing deeply. I hold my hand out to examine my ring once again.

"How'd you know the size?" I ask him eventually. He chuckles and the vibration of his chest against my back calms me. "I had to go through a few of them. Tried the on while you were sleeping.

I smile, rolling over to face him. "What a romantic." I mumble, kissing his lips. I roll back over, taking a look at the windows. 

"I want to help out with farming today." I mumble, swinging my legs over the edge of the bed. The sun was shining dimly through the window. Rick was probably already out there.

"Be safe." He mumbles. I smile, quickly putting on tight cargo pants and a button up shirt. "Always am." I tell him. I grab my knife and my gun before leaning down to kiss him. "Wait." I say, pulling up his hand. I see the same ring on his finger thats on mine. "You think I'd do this half assed?" He asks me smirking. I roll my eyes and lean down, kissing him.

I grab my book on the way out of the cell. 

"How far you thinking of going?" I ask Michonne, watching Rick and Carl feed the pigs. "Not sure yet. Hoping to get back soon though." 

I nod, looking down at the ground. "You know-"

She puts her hand up. "No. Not happening." I sigh, crossing my arms. "I'm not disabled. You shouldn't be going out there alone."

She rolls her eyes, petting the horse. "I'm fine on my own. Ill be back soon, I'll grab some more baby clothes for you as well as blankets." I smile and kiss her cheek. "Be safe." I tell her as I open the gates.

She smiles and walks through. I shut the gate and turn towards the farm before distant gunshots ring out. I turn immediately, my eyes widening. "Help! Please help!" I heard a young girl scream. 

I ran forward to Rick. "Cell block?!" Maggie yells out. "Don't know." Rick calls back. He shouts something to Carl before grabbing my arm. I run up to the prison with him.

 "Walkers in D!" Glenn tells us. "What about C?!" I scream back, trying to catch my breath. "Clear. We locked the gates to the tombs." Sasha tells us."