Chapter 6: TS-19

Sam immediately grabs James and I pick up Butter, tucking him into my arms so that he won't get lost in the swarm of people. I follow Sam into the building, watching as James wiggles in Sam's arms, which were wrapped around his waist and carrying him sideways. Daryl was behind me, nudging me forward, but more like pushing. My crossbow is slung around my back and I wish it was in my hands. 

"Daryl, you cover the back" Shane calls out as we all rush inside. He places his hand low on my waist and pulls me inside. "Hello? Hello?" Rick yells into the empty building, his voice echoing around us. "Close those doors." Dale commands. "Watch for walkers." T-dog and Daryl pull the doors close but there is a sinking feeling in my gut. "Rick." I mumble, grabbing his arm. "I don't know about this..." He looks down at me for a moment before looking around.

"Hello?" Rick asks again. This time a man appears with a rifle in his hands. "Anybody infected?" He calls out to us. "One of our group was. He didn't make it." Rick tells him breathlessly. His eyes travel over our group. "Why are you here? What do you want?" Rick looks at the man pleadingly. "A chance." I fight the urge to cough.

"That's asking an awful lot these days." The man says cautiously, his eyes traveling over us. "I know." "You all submit to a blood test." He tells us. "That's the price of admission." Rick nods. "We can do that."

The man lowers his gun and motions to the rest of us. "You got stuff to bring in, you do it now. Once this door closes it stays closed." I set Butter down next to James and jog out to the truck with Daryl. I quickly grab my bag and help Sam with his and James.

Once everyone is back in the building, the doors shut and I get an uneasy feeling about what this man told us earlier. "Vi, seal the main entrance. Kill the power up here." The man commands and then leads us towards an elevator. I look back over my shoulder as metal doors shut and cover the doors.

"Rick Grimes." Rick introduces. I lean against the back wall of the elevator, watching him. He looks uneasily at me, noticing my staring, before responding. "Dr. Edwin Jenner." He looks over the rest of us. "Doctors always go around packing heat like that?" Daryl asks Jenner from the back of the elevator. 

"There were plenty left lying around. I familiarized myself. But you look harmless enough." He pauses, looking at Carl and James. "Except you two, I'll have to keep my eye on you guys."

Carl and James look at each other before smiling in response and I visibly relax

Carl and James look at each other before smiling in response and I visibly relax. Jenner leads us out of the elevator and down a hallway. "Are we underground?" Carol asks him, rubbing her shoulders and looking around. "Are you claustrophobic?" Jenner says, lookin back at her.

"A little." She admits. "Try not to think about it." He tells her with a small smile, and that is all the advice he gives. I look over to Daryl who's walking next to me. He looks down and catches me staring but he just smirks and I look away, confused at my embarrassment and blushing face.

Jenner speaks again. "Vi, bring up the lights in the big room." He turns towards us. "Welcome to zone 5." He says. "Where is everybody?" Rick asks. "The other doctors, the staff?"