Chapter 31: Indifference

"This is Tunercreek so Barnesville must be a few miles downstream." Michonne tells us. "Sounds like our best chance at finding a new ride." I say.

"Yo, Ty." Daryl calls out. "Come on, let's go. vamanos." I rolls my eyes at Daryls words and look down at him by the stream.

Daryl takes my hand and we thread our fingers together. I follow him down the trail with Michonne behind us, along with Bob and Tyreese.

Daryl stops and picks up a rock. "Is that Jasper?" He nods. "Yeah.

"Its a good color. Brings out your eyes." I tell him smiling. He chuckles. "When Miss. Richards went into A block, we were leaving. Asked me to keep a lookout. I'm gonna use it for her old man's marker."

"You know all them back there?" Michonne asks him. "You stay in one place more than a couple hours, you'd be surprised what you pick up."

He takes my hand again, tossing the rock up in down in the other. "Long walk." I muttered in distaste. I was in no way excited. My feet hurt, I was tired, and the little one started kicking. I grunt and place my hand on my stomach. I needed to keep going. If I stopped, I'd hear all about the fact that I'm in no place to go on runs anymore.

"You alright?" Michonne asks me. I nod. "I hit my head on the window, throbbing a bit." I explain, following behind the three boys. "You can rest here for a bit." She says, nodding to the building in front of us.

"You see somthin?" Tyrese asks Daryl as he inspect the woods and outside the building. I don't know. Maybe." He did. He found a car. 

Michonne, Bob, and Tyrese uncover the sticks and leaves while I sit in the passenger seat, watching as Daryl hot-wires the car. "You okay?" He asks me, still focused on the wires. "I'm fine. Why?"

He looks up at me briefly before looking back at the wires. "Michonne said you hit your head." I sigh and roll my eyes. Of course she would say something. I knew she would. "Yea, but I don't even feel it anymore."

He hums in response before sighing and throwing the wires to the ground. "Come on baby." He mutters, helping me stand. "We gotta find us a new battery." Daryl tells us, shutting the door. Daryl turns around and looks into the garage.

He spits onto his hand before rubbing against the window, trying to clear off some of the dust. A walker jumps up and slams against the inside of the window and I flinch back, hitting the car. "Ow." I mumble. I hated jump scares. 

"Got some friends inside." Daryl says, going a quick check over my body. "Stay out here." Daryl tells me, and I nod. This was no time to disagree. I sit on the ground and the res of them plan on how to get inside. 

I watched as the four of them cut against the vines and leaves in front of the garage. "Hey, go easy. We don't know what we're dealing with." Daryl tells Tyrese who's ripped vines off aggressively. I grunt as I stand up, walking over to them to help pull some shit off. I wouldn't go inside, but I could at least help out.

I hear Tyrese hit something metal and I turn to look at him along with Daryl. I'm not going to lie, he's scaring me a bit right now.

He eventually pulls his knife out and pulls the wires off the top of it. Metal ones. I stare at confusion before turning back to the leaves. A hand jumps out, grabbing the collar of my shirt. I stare wide eyed, trying to get it off. But Daryl is quick and he cuts it off before pulling it from my shirt. 

Daryl pushes me away as the four of them begin to fight the walkers who were reaching through, trying to climb their way out. I really wanted to help but Daryl pushes me away for a reason. The baby inside of me was a reminder.

Michonne cuts the head off of the walker that had gotten Bob. "Tyrese!" I yelled. "Tyrese let him go!" Daryl adds, watching him. He didn't listen. Instead he pulled harder with resulted in the walker walling out onto him.

Daryl pulled him off of his chest before Bob shoots it in the head. Daryl sighs and helps him up before walking over to me. "Did it get you?" He asks, pulling my shirt collar away to check for scratch marks. I shake my head. He sighs again before pulling me against him. He hugs me tightly "Why the hell didn't you let go?" Michonne asks him, clearly pissed off. 

"Alright. Follow my lead. None of that shit you just pulled alright? Ty, you stay with Michonne." Daryl says, especially to Ty. I follow in behind him, holding my knives out. He decided he wanted to keep me where he could see me.

He flashes the light around, looking for a battery. We follow him into a separate room that looks like the garage. Daryl sets the flash light down and continues to look for a battery while I look around. "Got it." He says.

I turn to see him opening the top. "Cells look pretty dry." He mumbles. "A little distilled water will clear that right up." I tell him.

"Let's keep looking around." I tell them. I didn't like feeling this place gave off. I stepped in something and I slowly looked down and groaned when it was something wet. 

"Ewwww." I groan, trying to shake my foot off. "That's puke." Daryl says, pointing his flashlight on a contained of opened antifreeze. "Those douchebags in the vines took themselves out. holding hands kumbaya style."

I rolled my eyes. "They wanted to go out together same as they lived." Bob says to him. I look over to him in confusion. "That makes them douchebags?"

"It does if they could have gotten out." Daryl says, picking something up. I watch his muscles flex and I get tingles down my spine. "Everybody makes it till they don't. People are dominoes nowadays." Bob says.

"What they did, maybe it's about not having to watch them fall." He adds. "Right." Daryl mutters.

He takes my hand and we continue down the aisles until we hear raspy groaning. "Come here." Daryl whispers, pointing at it. It was mangled up and caught underneath a pillar, but its brain stem was still intact.  Daryl looks at it for a few moments before taking my hand and pulling me away.

He grabs the battery and I follow him out. 

He sets the battery down and opens the hood before pulling out a cig and a lighter. He sticks his hands inside and unattached the previous battery. "You never told us about the group you were with before." Daryl says.

I climb inside of the passenger seat, closing my eyes and listening to the two of them talk. The jolt of the engine wakes me up. 

Bob gets into the drivers seat and Daryl helps me stand, letting me climb into the back with him. I rest my head on his shoulder and sleep until we arrive at the college.