Chapter 24: Clear

When I woke up, Daryl was still asleep. I was in only my underwear and his shirt. I sighed and got out of the bed, putting on my cargo pants, boots, and tank top. I grabbed my gun, knife, and bow and kissed Daryls forehead before leaving.

"You ready to go?" I asked Rick. He looked at me confused. "I'm coming with. I'm getting weak and that can't happen."

He looks at me for a long moment before nodding. "Carol, tell Daryl, Sam, and James, that I'll be back soon. And that I love them." She nods, hugging me goodbye. I got into the front seat, Rick beside me and Michonne and Carl behind us. 

I start the car, handing my bow to Michonne. I step on the gas as Merle lets us out of the gate. We drive down the main road for awhile. I think it was East 45, but I'm not sure. It all looks different now.

We passed a sign not too long ago, it had fabric tied to it and was blowing in the wind. 

When we got further down, there was a walker in the road, walking along. But as we got closer, it turned around and started waving. 

"Hey! Hey! Slow down!" I look over at Rick, and when he shows no emotion I keep driving. "Slow down! Im begging you!" He screams, trying to run alongside us.  I swallow hard, continuing forward. "Please!" He screams. 

I needed to get tougher. I had people I needed to worry about. We pulled up to an accident, and couldn't go through the road, so I pulled off to the side, slowly moving forward. Both cars had decaying bodies in them and one of the cars was flipped over. A walker had been pinned beneath it.

I slow down next to it. Rick looks over at me. I try to pull forward again, but we're stuck in the mud. I sigh looking down as soon as multiple walkers slam their hands down onto the car. "Fuck." I mumbled.

"Cover your ears. " Rick tells us, opening his window. We all cover them as he shoots one of the walkers, leaving a ringing sound in my ear. 

"This will work." Rick says, picking up one of the dresses. "Tell me when." I say, tapping the hood of the car. I get in and Michonne gets in behind me. 

"This and some sticks and gravel will create traction." Rick explains to Carl. "Wouldn't have to do it if she didn't get us stuck." Carl says. I sigh, leaning against the wheel. "It was an honest mistake."

"Why'd you bring them?"  Carl asks him. "She took you to Woodbury and split. And Chloe's pregnant. I get that she helped you and saved your life, but..."

"We have common goals. And Chloe didn't just save my life. She's my sister, now and forever." I smile against my arms. 

"We work together to fix our problems." Rick says. "Just for right now?" Carl asks him. "Yeah, just for right now."

I look in the rearview mirror. "I won't let it happen." I tell her. "You helped us. And I'm grateful for it."

She gives me a small smile. "Hey! Help me!" The same guy from before screams. I sighed. Rick taps the back of the car and I move forward, pulling out of the mud. "Get in."  Rick says to Carl.

"Please! Don't leave!" He screams. I wait for Carl to get in before pulling away for a second time. Eventually we pull into the same town we lived in before. We checked the police station first for guns and ammo.

When we walked in, everything was gone. Rick sighs, walking into the cage. "Damn it!" He says, kicking the wall. Michonne crouches down and picks up a bullet. "You got any other police stations in town?" She asks him. "I was the police here." He explains. "Me and a few other guys. Ain't a big town."

Rick sighs, scratching his eyebrow. "There's other places to check. May not have as many guns as were in here, but-" I lean down and pick up one of the empty boxes. "We need as many guns as were in here." I say, interrupting him. "Ammo too." Michonne says. "Yeah, we do."