Chapter 3: Tell it to the Frogs

When we finally reached their camp, I looked over to Rick in the front. He took the keys from the ignition and looked back at me. "I'm sorry Chloe." He says, and I nod at him. Morales looks at both of us. "Come meet everybody"

He helps me out the back of the truck and I place Butter on the ground. I hear Andrea shout. "Amy!"

"Andrea!" And then kids yell. "Papi! Daddy!"

"Hey. Come here, sweetie. Hey. I told you i'd be back didn't I?" Morales laughs. "How did y'all get out of there anyway?" I hear Glenn speak up. "New folk got us out." He says. I look up at Rick. "When am I going to find my brothers?" I ask him, tears forming in my eyes. "I don't know." He tells me. "But I do know that I'll sure as hell help you try."

Morales yells out to us. "Hey new folk. Come say hello!"

Rick walks out in front of me first. "Yea new guy's a cop just like you." Morales says to some guy with dark hair. Wait. Isn't that...? "Shane?" I blurt out instinctively. 

Rick walks forward a bit and looks up

Rick walks forward a bit and looks up. "Oh my God." He says before walking faster.

"Dad! Dad!" The boy, who I assume to be Carl yells out and runs toward him, followed by his mother Lori.

"Carl. Oh." He says as he hugs him, crying. "Rick!" Lori screams out as she runs towards them both. He stands and hugs her. I smiled widely at Shane before running up to him. He catches me in his arms and spins me around, hugging me tight. Sure we slept together, but he was an amazing friend of mine and I loved him.

He sets me down and I sigh, looking around the camp again. "Chloe!" I whirl around and see a mop of blonde hair jump into my arms. "Oh my God! James?!" He hugs me tighter before crying into my shoulder. Then another pair of arms wraps around me, picking me up.

"Chloe. Oh my God you're ok." I turn to hug Sam, putting James down. I hear him yell for Butter but all I can think about is my brothers and how I found them.

I cry into Sam's shoulder, thankful to God for getting me to my brothers safe and sound.

That night, we were all cuddled up next to the fire, or embers. Butter was resting on James' lap, and Sam's arm was draped across my shoulders.

"Disoriented." Rick said. "I guess that comes closest. Disoriented. Fear, confusion... all those things but... Disoriented comes closest." He nods his head.

"Words can be meager things. Sometimes they fall short." The man who I learned to be Dale, says.

"I felt like I'd been ripped out of my life and put somewhere else. For a while I thought I was trapped in some coma dream, something I might not wake up from ever."

"Mom said you died." Carl says. His mother looks uneasy. She looked over at Shane, who was sitting next to me. Rick waits a moment before responding. "She had every reason to believe that. Don't you ever doubt it."