Chapter 11

She looked so peaceful that morning as she still slept. Her hair was knotted and messy upon her head while her eyeliner was smudged around her eyes, yet she still managed to look like an angel. She was tangled in the bed sheets which were revealing her bare chest, covered with scars that matched her legs. Those scars made it obvious to me that self harm was a huge part of her former life and maybe even current—and it was something that shouldn’t be left ‘unnoticed’.

Her eyes softly fluttered open and met mine as sweet smile formed upon her lips.

“Good morning, love.”

She blushed, pulling the sheets to more cover her exposed, scarred chest, “Morning.”

It makes sense for her to be shy, that was her first time. Like, very first.

“Anything you want to do today?” I smiled at her as she attempted to brush out her hair with her slim fingers—one of which was wearing a ring, courtesy of yours truly.

“Hmm, I don’t know,” she paused, blushing again, “I’m really up for anything as long as I’m with you.”

I chuckled and raised my eyebrows as she said that.

“Ohh, I didn’t mean for that to be so cheesy,” she moaned, moving her hand up between her eyebrows where she rubbed rhythmically—a cute habit she often does when she’s embarrassed.

“It’s okay, honey. I couldn’t have put it any better,” I paused, trying to collect my thoughts, “Hey, I have something I need to talk to you about.”

Her eyes widened before softening again and looking into mine, “Yeah?”

“Your scars,” her eyes flickered away from mine again as I whispered this.

“Oh,” she paused to sigh, “Yeah, those.”

“I love you, Ari. You do know that, right?”

“I know.”

“I don’t want you to hurt anymore,” I said, my voice shaking.

“I know,” she said, quieter this time.

I pulled the sheets off of her and she flinched slightly before inching closer to me.

I softly touched the scars on her legs. They stuck out of her skin, and it was obvious they were never leaving. I leaned down and kissed them. That’s when she started crying.

“Hey, hey, hey,” I took her face in my hands and made her look me in the eyes, “You’re still just as beautiful. I still love you just as much,” she closed her eyes, “Nothing has changed.”

She rested her head on my shoulder and took my hand, “Josh, I love you so much.”

“Good,” I said, pulling back from her and winking.

She giggled and pulled me back towards her, “Oh, stop!” she resumed her former position, “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you,” she dug her face further into my shoulder, “I just wanted it to stay in the past.”

“It’s okay. I know the feeling,” I chuckled dryly, referencing to my own struggles with self harm, drug addiction, and eating disorders. “So I guess we’re even more alike than I thought?”

“Yup, I’d say we are,” she pulled away from my shoulder just to take my face towards hers for a passionate kiss. “I’m so glad I have you.”

"Same, babe."