PROLOGUE

From the diaries of Daniel St. Clair

My eldest granddaughter, Amethyst, never once gave me a problem but when she returned home from her summer trip to Lake Como, Italy she had never been the same—her innocent heart seemed to have broken. At first, I thought that she was just still grieving from her parent's sudden death. It never occurred to me that she had brought a souvenir from her trip.

Weeks had passed and it was becoming more obvious that she lost something precious in Italy and more evident that she was pregnant. I've tried to ask her about the father of the baby growing inside her but she refused to talk about him telling her old Granddad that it was just a 'one-night stand'. But I know better, my granddaughter had an affair with a man and left her broken-hearted.

Six years later, Massimo, or Max as we call him in the family—her adorable son had seemed to complete Amethyst's life but until now Max's unknown father still lingers in my old mind sometimes. If it was based on the boy's features he was likely the mirror image of his father with that aristocratic nose and warm brown eyes such a shame that he didn't inherit the infamous St. Clair's green eyes.

If my guess were right. Then, the boy's father is likely an Italian man who had an affair with Amethyst during her vacation in Italy. That's why I ask Amethyst for a job in Italy that could lead to the mysterious man who might not even be aware that he had fathered an intelligent boy living and breathing like a St. Clair. My great-grandson deserves to know his father.

And for that matter, this mysterious man also deserves to know his child. After all, he missed five years of his son's life. I couldn't think more painful punishment for a man than being kept in the dark about the existence of his child.

Amethyst St. Clair's POV

"Mommy?" I looked at the doorway to see my son standing there with his toy planes in his hands. "Can I bring my planes with us?"

I smiled at him tenderly as I stopped packing my things and invited him further inside the bedroom. "All right. But you can only bring one, okay?" I pushed back his mop of curled hair away from his forehead as I leaned down at him. "The last thing we want is to look for them one by one during Aunt Sapphire's wedding."

"But we're riding a real airplane, right?" He asked with his innocent light brown eyes.

I laughed hugging him tightly. "Yes, darling. We are going to ride a real airplane since we're going to visit Aunt Sapphire and Uncle Loukas in Greece."

"Is that far?"

I pretend to think for a moment. "A little bit. That's why we need to pack our things so we can't be late for their wedding."

"They're getting married again?"

I stifled a laugh. Trust this little guy who was very inquisitive when airplanes were involved in the conversation. "Yes, baby. They get back together and they are now also having a baby which means you will finally have a little cousin soon."

"I hope it's a boy." He commented with a sigh, sitting on the bed beside me.

"Why do you want your baby cousin to be a boy? You don't like a baby girl to be your cousin." I asked conversationally, trying not to laugh when he seemed bothered at the idea that there was a possibility of Sapphire's baby being a girl.

He sighed deeply again. "Well, how can I play with her if she likes dolls and unicorns?"

"Who knows maybe it's fun to play with her?" I said, gauging his reaction. I nearly laughed when he was bothered by the idea.