CHAPTER 8

PRESENT DAY...

Amethyst St. Clair's POV

I stared at the man in front of my door. So much for my misfortune today why do I have to see him twice today?

"What are you doing here?" I asked with a scowl on my face making sure he knew that I was not happy to see him again. And then it occurred to me that he said my real name. "H-How did you know my name?"

There was a smirk playing on his lips. "Surprised, are you? Took me six long damn years before I finally learn your name, sweetheart. Aren't you going to invite me in?"

I glared in his direction blocking my doorway. "No. I will not."

"Let's conduct this conversation more private." He suggested making his way inside my small hotel room.

"No!" I tried to stop him from entering. "The last time we have a private conversation I ended up in your bed."

The moment I said those words I regretted them immediately. I dared to glance at his smirking face. "Ah, so you remember."

"Get out!" I tried to push him out of the doorway but he was too strong for me to handle. "You are not welcome here. Get out before I will call security."

"Really?" He asked dryly cocking an eyebrow. "Do you think the security will interfere with our conversation? I am a very powerful man in this country, Amethyst. I suggest that we don't involve them this is only between us."

I barked a fake laugh. "What's there left to talk about in the past? What happened between us ended six years ago, Your Highness."

Wrong move. I let down my guard for one second and now he took a pounce and closed the door firmly behind him. He was now blocking the door with his body. My heart suddenly beats loudly in my chest.

"I beg to differ." He said, carefully taking steps towards me. "There are still things left unsaid between us. That reminds me..." I gasped when he suddenly grabbed my hands and examined them fully. "...hmm, no rings. It means you are not yet married."

I snatched my hands lightning fast. How dare he take liberties with me like that? "Why do you care?"

His eyes were hardened in my direction. "Because you still owe me an explanation about your sudden disappearance six years ago, Amethyst."

"I don't owe you anything!"

"Yes, you do." He persisted, his once beautiful eyes now filling with anger. "Don't you think you owe me an explanation when you just suddenly disappeared in Lake Como? You even lie about your name and you are not working as a housekeeper at the Villa Maeve. Your family owns the damn place, for heaven's sake!"

Suddenly, I felt I was on the defensive mode when it should have been his since he was the one who was being dishonest from the start. "I didn't lie about my name. My family calls me by that name."

He snorted shaking his dark head. His eyes same as my son's same light brown eyes stare down at me. "What about the fact that you are not a housekeeper?"

"I wanted to be someone else that summer. I wanted to forget that I am Amethyst St. Clair even just for a moment."

He gave a bitter laugh. "So everything was just a game for you then?"

"Game?" I repeated indecorously. "Why would I play a game with you? You are the one who first approached me remember? The only thing I have done is hide my identity."

He started to stalk me while I took a step backward maintaining a safe distance between us. "Do you have any idea how I wanted to find you in every corner of the world but I don't even know your name or how should I start?"