CHAPTER 13

Amethyst St. Clair's POV

"I'm ready," I said to Franco who was waiting for me in the receiving room of his house. I couldn't miss the way his light brown eyes narrowed in my direction.

"What the hell are you wearing?" He asked dangerously giving me a disapproving look.

I rolled my eyes at him. "It's called evening dress, your highness."

"I don't like it." He answered, still glowing at me as I carefully descended the staircase. "Please change."

I smiled regally in his direction once I stood next to him in the receiving area. I hid my triumph when I saw the annoyance on his face the emotion I hoped I could get from him when I purchased the dress yesterday. "Really, since when did you become an expert on women's fashion?"

His light brown eyes burned with unrecognizable emotion in their depth. I don't know if I like those emotions I see in his eyes right now. "I'm serious, Amethyst."

"So am I," I replied with a pleasant smile on my face. "No one dictates what should I wear, Your Highness. Not even you."

He pinched the bridge of his nose. He was probably having a mental debate inside his head. "What will you achieve in fighting me in everything?"

"I'm sure you have to ask that question to yourself, Mr. Calvetti. What will you achieve in locking me up in your house?"

"I told you..." he looked at me with annoyance on his face but he stopped talking when he realized that I was now standing too close to him. It's time to turn this to my advantage. He seemed to finally collect his thoughts. "...you will be staying here until you produce the designs I want for my mother's jewelry."

I raised an eyebrow in his direction making sure he was aware that I was goading him. "Believe me, you will not reject the new sets of schemes I have been preparing for your high covert criteria."

"Can we stop fighting at least for tonight?" He snapped at me. "Will that be too much to ask?"

"I am not the one who is spoiling for a fight, Your Highness," I informed him casually. "Shall we go now? I am sure you don't want to be late."

"Let's go." He said in a clipped tone that made me hide my smile enjoying his annoyance.

I followed him outside watching his angry stride as we went into his garage and picked his sleek sports car to use for tonight among the other five cars available in his garage.

I knew from the moment I saw this dress this would be perfect to irritate him. I chose to wear this thin-strap, backless black satin evening gown. I decided to keep my makeup minimal along with my jewelry but I chose to wear my long necklace backward the diamond-encrusted pendant glinting on my back whenever it caught the light at the party later.

I slid a look in his direction once we were seated inside his car. He was devastatingly handsome tonight in his tuxedo he was every inch of royalty tonight. This was the side of him that I saw before. This was the real Francesco Calvetti an Italian prince in the twenty-first century.

"Don't you dare leave my side tonight, my love?" He said in a menacing low voice that made me shiver on my exposed skin.

"Hmm...?" I asked permitting myself to smile slightly in his direction. "I don't know what you mean, your highness."

"It's Franco." He reminded me exasperatingly. "And you do know very well what I meant, Amy. Don't play coy."

"Whatever," I answered maddeningly.

Complete silence filled his sleek car throughout the rest of the journey after that. After half an hour or so we finally arrive at the mansion where the party is probably progressing.