CHAPTER 12

Amethyst St. Clair's POV

"Ruby, can I talk to Max?" I asked my sister over the phone the following morning after I spent the night here in Franco Calvetti's home.

"Hold on." My sister said on the other line. I looked around at the empty garden around me making sure that no one was listening to my phone conversation.

"Mommy?" I heard the familiar voice of my little angel over the phone. Oh, how I miss my son terribly.

"Hi, sweetie. How are you?" My eyes were misted with tears always thinking about him since I arrived here.

"I'm good," he replied cheerfully. "I am helping Aunt Ruby to cook pancakes every morning. When are you going home, Mommy?"

I choke back the emotions to threaten to get the best of me. "I already miss you, kiddo. But I fear that Mommy needs to stay here a little bit longer for my work."

I heard him sigh deeply. "Is that so?"

"Yes," my heart ached at the thought that I had to stay here for a few more days until I could create another set of designs that the bastard prince would finally approve.

"How many more days before you can come home, Mommy?"

"Oh, honey. I wish I could come home now but I think I will have to stay here for a few more days." If not only for your father being a complete ass I can go home as soon as possible, I added silently.

"Okay, I understand," Max replied from the other line.

I smiled at how understanding he was about my situation at a young age. What would he do if he met his father? Nope, I will not think about it since that wouldn't happen in this lifetime. "Be a good boy while you are staying with Aunt Ruby and Uncle Roman, all right?"

"Of course, mommy." My little boy stated on the other line. "Uncle Roman promised me he would buy me toys later."

"I hope you didn't tell them to buy you toys. I will be mad if you do that."

"I didn't!" Max insisted over the phone.

"Is that so?" I asked animatedly, smiling to myself as I imagined his expression right now since I could not risk having a video call with him not when I was keeping him a secret from his father. "Have fun later, okay."

"I will, Mommy!"

"Now give the phone back to Aunt Ruby," I instructed him gently.

"Okay. I love you, Mommy! And see you the soonest."

My heart warmed at how loving and caring he is. He's the greatest thing that happened to me when I lost everything six years ago. "I love you too, darling."

"Amy." Moments later I heard the familiar voice of my sister. "What's up?"

I looked around at my surroundings once more making sure I was still alone in the garden. "It seems I have to extend a few more days here due to my work. Can you take care of Max while I am still here?"

"Of course," Ruby replied on the other line. "Don't worry about it since Roman and Max are getting along so well."

I exhaled deeply, thankful for my sister and her husband for taking good care of my son while I am away."

"Is everything okay?" I heard my sister ask. I found myself laughing all of a sudden.

"Why do you keep on asking me that?" I asked her lightly. I walked slowly into the garden without any certain destination at all.