Painting The Town

~Inari~

Ruby: "-Penny. I-I don't understand"

Penny: "Most girls are born, but I was made. I'm the world's first synthetic person capable of generating an aura. I'm not real" Ruby clasped her hands around Penny's.

Ruby: "Of course you are. You think just because you've got nuts and bolts instead of squishy guts makes you any less real than me?"

Penny: "I don't, um. . ." I put my hand on her shoulder.

Inari: "You seem real. . . enough for me"

Penny: "You two are taking this extraordinarily well"

Ruby: "You're not like those things we saw back there"

Inari: "You have heart. . . and soul"

Penny: Oh! Oh you guys!" She wrapped an arm around me and Ruby, and squeezed. "You're the best friends anyone could have!"

Ruby: "*muffled* I can why your father would want to protect such a delicate flower!" She let go.

Penny: "Oh, he's very sweet. My father's the one that built me! I'm sure you would just love him"

Inari: "Did he build. . . you all by. . . himself?"

Penny: "Well almost, he had some help from Mr. Ironwood"

Ruby: "The general? Wait, is that why the soldiers were after you?"

Penny: "They like to protect me too!"

Ruby: "Pfft. They don't think you can protect yourself?"

Inari: "She is extremely. . . capable, but I. . . doubt they protect. . . her because. . . she needs it. . ."

Penny: "Exactly Inari! It's not that I can't, but they're just not sure if I'm ready yet. One day, it will be my job to save the world. But I still have a lot to learn. That's why my father let me come to the Vytal festival"

Inari: "Is that why. . . Ironwood's here too?"

Penny: "It's part of the reason, but he has a bunch of other duties here. I want to see what it's like in the rest of the world, and test myself in the tournament"

Ruby: "Penny, what are you talking about? Save the world from what? We're in a time of piece"

Penny: "That's not what Mr. Ironwood said. . ."

Inari: "Hmm. . . Intriguing, but. . . highly disturbing. . ."

Soldier: "Check down here!"

Penny: "You have to hide!" She picked up Ruby and carried her towards a trash can.

Ruby: "Gah, Penny! What are you doing? You don't have to go with them, I can help you!" Penny threw her into the trashcan.

Penny: "It's ok Ruby, they're not bad people. I just don't want you to get in trouble. Just promise me you won't tell anyone about my secret. Ok?"

Ruby: "I promise" She shut the lid.

Penny: "It would be for the best if you get back on the rooftops now Inari" I nodded at her.

Soldier 1: "There she is!"

Penny: "Salutations, officer!"

Soldier 2: "Why were you running? And what happened to the other girl?"

Penny: "What girl? I've been by myself all day *hiccup*"

Soldier 2: "You shouldn't cause such a scene"