вaвy, yoυ're ѕo claѕѕιc

A/U of a classic romance story: football + cheer. I have zero clue how A/Us work, but we going for it.

NO ONE'S POV (maybe a ghost @m3ghan_joy)

"1! 3! 5! 7! 1! up 3! 5! hit 7! 1! hit 3! 5! down 7!"

"that was good you guys!" nini exclaimed. "kels, remember to pull up as high as you can in your lib. don't sink into you hip. run it one more time. you guys got this!"

nini salazar-roberts. your classic high school cheerleader. team captain, perfect fashion sense, perfect hair, eyelashes with a frightening volume, and just about what everyone in the school wanted to be. what made her different from stereotype was that she was literally the sweetest person out there, and not in a fake way. she had a gazillion friends, but still managed to have a few super close one. she was the best flier on the east high varsity cheer team for the past three years. yes, she made varsity as a freshman. people aspired to be nini salazar-roberts, and yet she still remain humble.

NINI'S POV

the first football game of the year started in about twenty minutes. i was smiling, sitting on a picnic table, as i watched my friends practice. before each game, the football players would meet up with the cheerleaders so they could wish each other good luck. most of the girls on my team were dating one of the players, but certainly not me. boys were a no. gross.

i twirled a strand of long brown hair around my fingers, laughing as the football players entered, hitting the doorway like normal boys do. i smiled with glee as some of the players hugged the cheerleaders, swinging them around. One guy caught my eye. i hadn't seen him around before, which is weird because i knew everyone.

"who is that?" i whispered to my friend, gina, who was the co-captain of the school's dance team.

gina followed my line of sight to a curly haired, really tall, and slightly lanky boy. "oh! that's east high's new quarterback. don't know his name though."

"little skinny for a quarterback, isn't he?" i questioned, flushing as the boy shot me a glance.

"maybe.." gina drawled. "but he is good at making you blush."

i flushed a deeper shade of red. "shush, he is walking over here." gina quickly scurried away as the curly haired walked closer to the picnic table where i sat.

"hey, i'm ricky bowen." the boy said stretching a hand towards me. "i'm new here."

"i'm nini." i returned the hand shake, smiling brightly.

"i know." he grinned. "everyone has been telling me that you are a must talk to person here."

"is that so?" i couldn't help but smile. it was nice to hear people thought of me that way. "well, welcome to east high, ricky."

"thanks," ricky said. "it's kind of awesome."

we sat and talked for a bit, about teachers, some of our favorite classes, etc. ricky was really easy to talk to, which surprised me. most boys at ehs were as sharp as a door handle (the round ones) but not this new kid. he was attentive and almost... smart? never mind, he plays football.

"all the team spirit here is insane." the boy watched in delight as the football players drew their numbers on some of the cheerleaders faces in eye-black.

"yeah, so the team members each pick a cheerleader to be their 'lucky charm'," i explained, sitting a little taller on the table. "and they draw their number on their face, and that cheerleader just kind of watches them the whole night. it's not like we are property or something, but the cheerleaders actually came up with it. we really enjoy it!" i rambled.