jealous

I'm jealous of the rain
That falls upon your skin
It's closer than my hands have been
I'm jealous of the rain

ricky let out a groan as he stepped out from underneath the canopy of the school. he didn't have reason to be there, after all, it was summer, but he didn't really have anywhere else to go.

he didn't really belong anywhere unless she was there with him.

he had been stupid; he let her go when he needed her the most. he left her sitting in her room by herself just a week before her summer camp thinking that he never loved her and all they had was nothing my smoke and macabre. they were nothing. but that is surely not how he thought.

ricky hated the rain. not usually actually; usually he loved the rain, but right now, he didn't. because she wasn't there to love it with him, and boy, did she love the rain.

-flashback-

"ricky, ricky, ricky!"

ricky let out a low chuckle as his girlfriend hopped over to him from her swinging seat. she swung her legs over his hips and settled into his lap as she tilted her phone so he could see the screen.

"what is it babe?"

the petite brunette looked up at him with a cheeky smile that never failed to make his heart stop. "there is a hurricane coming!"

ricky raised an eyebrow. "and that's a good thing?"

"well, not usually, no." nini let out a soft laugh. "but it's not hitting anywhere near us, which means we are just gonna get a ton of rain!"

ricky groaned. "i hate the rain."

nini let out a gasp of offense, slapping his shoulder hard and making ricky gasp in pain. "don't hate the rain, you idiot!" she exclaimed. "rain is such a blessing. without it, we'd probably all be dead and, by the way, dancing in the rain is the most romantic thing in the world."

ricky rolled his eyes, still not convinced, but the brunette knew that, so she leaned forward to whisper in his ear.

"and kissing in the rain..."

"i love the rain!" ricky exclaimed, perking up immediately and making nini burst into a fit of giggles.

"you're my favorite." nini said softly, connecting her forehead to his. she used these words a lot, and they were quickly becoming ricky's favorite thing to hear, but little did he know,

that was her simple way of saying those three big and treacherous words, 'i love you.'

-flashback over-

ricky grunted in anger, swiping his hand through a puddle that showed his forlorn expression. a flash of troy in high school musical two flooded through his head, but he pushed that thought away as fast and as strong as he could. high school musical meant her. rain meant her. anything and everything brought his mind back to the very same girl.

but he was dead to her.

I'm jealous of the wind
That ripples through your clothes
It's closer than your shadow
Oh, I'm jealous of the wind

the closer ricky got to home, the louder he heard their shouts, their screams, objects hurling places and crashing into walls.

"not today." he mumbled to himself, picking his skateboard off the side walk and going in the other direction.

the wind was picking up again after the rain had stopped and it was sending shivers down his spine, but he didn't care. he wasn't going home today.