17.

•Hotch's POV•

After about 4 long tiring hours of continuous paperwork I decided to take a break. Leaning back in my chair I look at the photo of Jack and I that sat on my desk. I could stop thinking about what she had said at the diner.

"Hotch, how exactly is he suppose to do that when you're constantly working?.... He needs you around more, you know that...."

I glance up at the clock it was nearing 10 pm. I debated weather or not I should head home or finish the paperwork.

Just as I was about to pick up my pen, my phone rings. Taking it out of my pocket I answer without checking the caller ID.

"Hotchner?" I ask sternly.

"Hey Hotch, it's me." Her voice was faint but sounded a little better than the last time we talked.

As soon as I hear it, I shift in my chair, and my heart begins to race.

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah everything's fine. I just um-" she pauses for a moment.

"I meant to call you when I said I would. These past few days have been kinda a blur and I know it's late but-." She rambles on to say but I cut her off.

"It's fine. I understand."

"How're you feeling?" I ask shortly after.

I hear shifting over the phone as if she's in bed.

"Um, well I haven't really left my bed since we got back. I also can't really feel anything so I guess that's good."

"Do you need anything?" I ask.

"I think I'm fine but thanks." She responds.

For a moment it's silent.

"So catch me up on everything that's going on at the BAU since I'm not there." She says breaking the brief silence.

"Nothing's really happened. The past few days we've just been organizing and catching up on paperwork. Strauss is waiting to talk to you when you get up and on your feet."

"Mmm great. I bet that'll be full of fun." Her voice was filled with sarcasm.

"I think it's just about your recovery leave." I reassure her.

"mmm. Wow. Even better." She says with more sarcasm.

After she says that we both go silent for a moment.

"Have you talked to Jack?" She asks, her voice was slightly quieter.

I turn in my chair and look at the photo that Jack painted at school while I was in Miami.

"Yeah we talked over the phone today." I pause.

"I decided to take the rest of the week off and his aunt is dropping him off tomorrow morning." I respond quietly.

"That's good." She responds, I could tell she was smiling over the phone.

"He's been asking to see you." I tell her.

"I wanna see him too-" she suddenly stops talking.

I hear shifting over the phone again and faint wincing.

"You okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine I just-" She pauses.

"Um- Why- why don't you both come over sometime this week? Or when you have a chance. I um- some of his soccer stuff came today." She stammers.

I lean forward on my desk and carefully listen to her side of the call.

"You sure you're okay?" I ask again.

She goes silent for a moment then there's a shattering sound and quick shifting.

"Hotch, I gotta go. I'll um call you or something. When you get a chance, come over with Jack." She says quickly before hanging up.

I hold the phone to my ear for a moment before setting it down. Shortly after I pick it up and call JJ.

"Tell me we don't have a case?" She whines, sounding like she just woke up.

"No, I just need a favor."

"Thank god." She quietly breaths out.

"What is it?" She asks immediately after.

"Can you call Willow? See if she's okay."

"Y-yeah I'll call her."

"Thanks and don't mention anything about me calling you." I say before hanging up.

I stand up and begin packing up my things. Closing my briefcase, I grab my suit jacket then head towards the door.

As I start my car, my phone rings.

"Hotchner?"

"I called her, she said she's fine. She just knocked over her glass. She also said next time to call her directly instead of waking me up."

I close my eyes and mentally cringe.

"JJ I told you not to tell her."

"I didn't. Anyways I gotta go, Henry's having trouble sleeping." She sighs.

"Alright."

"Night Hotch." She says before hanging up.

I toss my phone in the passenger seat next to my briefcase and suit jacket. As I pull out of the parking garage all I could think about was her and Jack.

_