Chapter 6

Safe, warm and safe. That what I feel as I rise to consciousness. I open my eyes and I am met with a cotton covered chest. Recollection of last night skims across my mind and I remember that I am not in my own bed, I'm in Dimitri's. One of his arms is wrapped around my waist holding me to him while his free hand is running caressing my hair. I close my eyes and quietly sigh, this is what safe feels like.

"I didn't wake you, did I?"

I tilt my head up and meet his beautiful brown eyes and shake my head.

"No, you didn't wake me. How long have you been up?" I ask resting my face against the side of his neck basking in the feeling of being in his arms. I'm still hurt, but I don't want to be out of his arms. I want to stay here with him and feel content and happy. I haven't felt this content in months.

"Not long," he chuckles. "I've only been up for about 30 minutes."

"Why are you still in bed then?"

"Because I like holding you, plus anytime I moved the slightest bit you growled at me and griped my arm tighter."

I groan, but silently thank god that he can't see how red my face is turning at the knowledge that I would let him go. He runs his hand up and down my back, laughing under his breath at me. I breathe in deeply, taking in as much of his smell as possible. How can one person's smell make you feel so calm. We laid there quietly for a few moments before it was interrupted by the loud gurgling of my stomach. I sigh and sit up and stretch my arms, humming in appeasement feeling my joints pop. I look down at Dimitri and smile. His hair is slightly disheveled, casually hanging down in his face, he has now put one arm under his head and the other on his stomach. Even when he has been lounging in bed he looks like a god.

"Hey," he says tugging my hand a little bit. I hum at him in response as he sits up and places a hand on the side of my face.

"Good morning Roza," he says. Giving me one of his smiles that he saves just for me, I lean forward and place my lips tentatively on his. He kisses me back gently, moving his against mine in a dance that has almost been long forgotten. I pull back to take a deep breath and tuck my hair behind my ears.

"How about we eat something before your stomach eats itself," Dimitri says winking and me and pulling the cover off his legs and standing up. Offering his hand to me intake it and climb over the bed to walk into the kitchen with him. I plop myself down at the breakfast nook and prop my head upon my hands and he walks around, starting the coffee pot and pulling ingredients out of the fridge and cupboard.

"Anything I can do to help?" I ask watching his measure out flour and sugar and dumping it into a bowl.

"No, this is my treat."

I roll my eyes at him and sigh, I hope off the stool and walk over the coffee pot and pour him a coffee and bring it over, placing it at the back of the worktop so that it's out of the way and wrap my arms around his back and look around him to see what he is making.

"Are you making blini?" I squeal. If I were ever to learn how to make anything, it would be blini. Viktoria teased me when I wanted to douse mine in syrup when I was staying with her, but I like my sweets and blini taste similar to American pancakes. I look at Dimitri and see him smiling and nodding. I let go and hop up on to the counter next to him and observe quietly, well not so quietly because my stomach kept rumbling but by the time Dimitri cooked the first batch and handed me my plate I practically inhale them. They taste just like Olena's.

"Are you feeling better this morning?" Dimitri asks while cleaning up the dishes and I sit on the counter, fighting the sleepiness of over-eating.

"To be honest, I haven't felt this... happy in a long time. I just feel like I can let go of the pain for a little while," I reply smiling, but when I look at his face the smile slips. A frown has worked across his face and he is staring down at the dishwater, no longer moving. I nudge him with my hand, but he doesn't look up at me.