Chapter 16

Lounging on a chair by the pool in the early afternoon sun, I relished in the feel of myself baking under the oil that slicked my skin. I was definitely going back to American with a glorious tan. Rolling onto my stomach, carefully holding my untied top to my chest to prevent anything from spilling out. I got myself comfortable and placed my hands under my head and rested my face in the crook of my arm.

"I just had a lovely conversation with Belikov."

I groan and open one eye to see Abe standing beside my chair with two crystal glasses in hand. He sets on down on the table before seating himself in the chair beside me. It still strikes me as odd that Abe would enjoy being out in the heat, but I guess that's why he wears linen and cotton when he is outside.

"And what kind of conversation is that, old man?" I grumble, resting my chin on my arm to look at him with raised brows. He smirks as he kicks up his feet and leans back in the chair and angling the umbrella over him before replying.

"Oh, nothing bad, Kiz. I simply wanted to know what his intentions with my little girl are, you can't blame a father for looking out for his own kin. Besides, he was your mentor. I wanted to know how far back things between you went."

I groan and shove my face back into my arms. First my mother, now Abe. Poor Dimitri, I'm surprised he hasn't run for the hills yet. Unfolding my arms to reach back and tie my bikini back in place, I push up on the chair and swing my legs and sit up to look at him. I eyeball the glass next to the table and pick it up, sniffing it to realize its lemonade. Taking a sip I notice that there is a little vodka in it and I smirk at my father. Leaning back into the chair with my drink I sip slowly looking out over the waterfront.

"You didn't threaten him, did you?" I ask bluntly. Abe rolls his head towards me with a raised brow. "Not exactly. I did warn him that I was not someone to be messed with and that if he ever hurt you there wasn't anywhere in the world he could hide that I wouldn't find him.

I snort a laugh and drink some more from the glass. That definitely sounds like a threat.

"Abe."

"I just want him to know that I don't want to see you hurt again. I noticed the way you two looked at each other when you were in the hospital, and I remember how heartbroken you were in Russia after he had been turned. I may not have been around until recently, but that does not mean I don't care. I love you Kiz, and I only want what's best for you. So if that means scaring your boyfriend a little, I will." Abe says seriously and I nod absently. He's right. He may not have been around, but both him and mom are making an effort to be around more and to build relationships.

"Kiz means daughter right?"

"Yes."

I think about what I'm going to say and ponder what his reaction is going to be. If telling him I wanted to go to Turkey made him smile, I wonder what this will do.

"What is dad in Turkish?" I ask while playing with my glass. He looks over at me again and slowly says "Baba."

I place my glass down on the table and stand up to sit down on the edge of his chair and put my arms around him.

"Thank you, Baba, I know you're trying. And it means a lot," I say softly with a large smile on my face. He wraps his arms around me tightly with a sigh and rests his head against mine. I relaxed into the hug, but my eyes widen. Crap. I'm covered in tanning oil.

"Oh shit! I just rubbed all this oil on your shirt!" I exclaim as I start to pull out of the hug. Abe just laughs deeply and pulls me back into the hug.

"It's just a shirt, I can change after. Just let me hug my kid."

After being here for just over a week, I have already grown a love for Turkish food, especially Baklava. I always thought it originated in Greece, but it is a well-known Turkish dessert, sweet and nutty with flake pastry. And the fact that is one of the only things Abe knows how to cook. I never thought I would see a mobster bake, but I guess stranger things have happened.