Chapter 1, The Beginning

(Dusk)

Dusk's P.O.V.

It was early in the morning, my favorite part of the day. The cool breeze ruffled my thick, dark grey coat as I charged across the mountainside seeking the annoying white rabbit that always seemed to barely avoid becoming a tasty morning snack. However, as I ran I caught another scent, venison. Since my pack had disappeared it was harder to catch deer, but I had done it twice before and venison sounded great. I ran towards the scent and saw a doe in a clearing, I wouldn't need a pack for this easy kill. I always killed my prey quickly so I went straight for the throat, the doe fell to the ground her long legs buckling under her.

After my meal I bounded off for a look around my territory. As I neared my den, after a long patrol I scented a snow leopard. I ran immediately towards the smell and saw nothing. I walked quietly to my den, which was hidden within the roots of a great tree. The immense roots formed the roof and walls of my den. As I was just about to squeeze through the small entrance of my den a tiny wolf pup ran right into my massive, shadowy figure. I looked down at the helpless pup.

It shivered as I said, " What are you doing here?"

It whimpered in reply," I am running from a shadow that had two long, thin heads attached to a fat neck with two little feet."

It looked genuinely scared of the shadow, that obviously belonged to the nasty little white rabbit that I had chased that morning.

I smirked within myself as I said, " What is your name?"

"It's Widow," he said.

I replied," Well then, Widow go to your mother." It was then that I saw the little eyes of the poor thing turn sad.

"What mother?"he asked in a sad grumpy voice that I thought wouldn't had been possible for him.

Then he said mournfully, "She disappeared when the black things came." this reminded me of when my family and pack had disappeared.

"Well, I am Dusk," I told him."Stay in my den tonight and tomorrow I will bring you some food."

The next morning, I went hunting. I trotted along till I reached the place where I smelled squirrels. There were two sharp cracks, as their necks broke, then there were two delicious meals. I brought a squirrel back for me and Widow. The little wolf slept contentedly after his meal so I left to patrol my land near a great sheer drop that ran across one side of my territory and a snow leopard's.

I was terrified of heights so I stayed two or three yards away from the edge. I gulped as I saw the drop, it was no threat to me, but I hated it. I trotted back towards my den by the mouth of the cave to check on Widow. He had gotten his white coat muddy by digging under the snow down to the mud. I had to keep the pup busy all day. I told him to go into the cave and hunt for rabbits and he did, though any rabbits in a cave was preposterous.

As Widow leaped up to leave he said over his shoulder," If a bear lives in there I'll battle him and bring him to you for dinner."

I shook myself and walked out into the crisp cool air of late morning, the pup was distracting me from patrolling my land frequently and thoroughly. I raced off into the snow-laden forest thinking how impossible for me it would be to care for this mischievous pup.

A while later I heard a piercing yelp in the air and I smelled an odd scent. I charged to my den and leaped on top of it for a better look at my territory. I heard a sound that caused a tremor to run threw me. A black thing flew over me and I knew then what the strange scent I had smelled earlier was, No Furs. I jumped from my perch and barked for Widow to get inside the den immediately. But there was no response. I howled with rage, for though I wouldn't admit it, I had grown fond of Widow.

Though I knew inside it was pointless, I went looking in the forest and I explored many small caves. I proved my suspicion, No Furs had taken him.

I went hunting. While I was out I scented the elusive rabbit, but was too sad to chase after it, instead I followed the scent of an elk. It was a rather small animal, for an elk, and I brought it down easily.

I stood in the snow by my den. My eyes looked dark as my head fell forward in grief, my nose close to the snow.

" I will find you Widow, I will." That was a promise I was going to keep.

Please comment. Criticism is welcomed, as well as, suggestions. We are new writers so it starts off slower. ;)