Chapter 7: An Unexpected Ambush

Xeno walked out of his room, yawning. He sat on the couch when Lion walked in.

Xeno: Let me guess... a new mission?
Lion: No. I'm giving your team a break. You can do anything today, no work needed.
Xeno: ...that's a new one.
Lion: We'll see you on the next mission.
Xeno: Yeah, see ya then.

Xeno looked a bit confused to say the least but he walked back to his room and got his jacket on, and left the base. The sun was out, and it was perfect weather. He decided to go to Jake's Pizza. Luckily, his whole crew was there.

Maverick: Hey, Xeno. Glad you could make it.
Xeno: Thanks.

They all hung out for a bit, ordering what they wanted. After they ate, the left the place, but that's when they got a call.

Jinx: Hello?
Lion: They're here... I don't have much time to talk...
Jinx: Lion? Who's here? What?
Lion: Marabou, god damn it! They're here! Get over here ASA-

The call got interrupted. They had no time to lose, they ran as fast as they could, arriving at Onyx's base of operations.

Artemis: We don't have our gear. What are we gonna do?
Maverick: Sneak around and get our gear in the armory. Simple as that.

They opened the doors. The lights were shut off, and Marabou operatives roamed around with guns. They were about to get to the armory, but someone spotted them.

Marabou Operative: HEY WHAT ARE YOU-

Jinx ran and punched him in the face, and he landed on the floor. She grabbed the collar of his shirt.

Jinx: You better shut your goddamn mouth before I knock your skull in. Am. I. Clear?
Marabou Operative: You don't scare me. Not at all-

Jinx took his gun, and she knocked him out. They got to the armory and grabbed their gear. Xeno smirked, looking at everyone.

Xeno: I'll go and rescue everyone. You all take out Marabou's operatives.
Artemis: Yes sir.

They all scattered across the facility. Xeno ran to the main meeting room, to find Robin at gunpoint with a Marabou Operative.

Marabou Operative 2: Tell me where your squadron is.
Robin: A-as if...
Marabou Operative 2: Suit yourself. Lights out for you.

A bullet hit the operative in the chest. The operative held her wound and fell over, releasing Robin from her grasp. Xeno ran over to her.

Xeno: Robin?! Are you alright?
Robin: I wouldn't be without your help... thank you...
Xeno: It's what I do. Where's Lion and Jackdaw?
Robin: That I don't know... they might be in the shooting range. Check there.
Xeno: Got it. Get somewhere safe for now.
Robin: Mmhm...

Robin ran as Xeno ran through the halls. Meanwhile, Maverick was looking around their resting quarters. He opened the door and found two people going through their stuff.

Marabou Operative 3: Hmm... you think we could just splatter ketchup over their clothes and say they died?
Marabou Operative 4: What the hell is your problem? They are our enemies, and we are going to take them ou-

A bullet went through the 4th Operative. Maverick turned on the lights, staring at the 3rd.

Maverick: So... you wanna be your little friend here?
Marabou Operative 3: Ah! You're the Onyx operative! You're going down! I'll avenge you, Executor...

The operative pulled out gun. Maverick sighed, and ran towards them. They shot a few times before Maverick hit them in the stomach with his gun. They fell to the ground... Jinx was looking through the data storage center and found an operative looking through them.

Marabou Operative 5: This should be good for the boss.

She took the USB out and began walking away... to meet a shotgun pointed at her.

Jinx: What? You thought it was gonna be easy?
Marabou Operative 5: Well, I guess I should've expected this.

She pulled out her gun and tried hitting Jinx, but Jinx whacked the operative as hard as she could. They fell to the ground, and Jinx grabbed the USB. It was best to keep it instead of let another operative get away with it. Artemis was looking through the generators. She found an operative there. Probably the one responsible for the lights being shut off. She got her UP9 out, turning on the flashlight, pointing it at the operative.

Marabou Operative 6: Huh? HEY, WE GOT A ONYX OPERATIV-

She turned off the flashlight, and whacked them across the head. She worked on putting the generators back on. A few minutes later, the lights were finally back on... and Xeno finally reached the shooting range. He opened the door, to see Lion and Jackdaw backed in a corner.

Xeno: Let him go! Now!

He pointed the guns at the operatives. They were about to shoot their hostages.

Marabou Operative 7: So... you finally made it.
Xeno: What is that supposed to mean?!
Marabou Operative 8: We've been expecting you.
Lion: Xeno... be careful.

Xeno wasn't hesitating. He slowly stepped forward. It seems he was planning something once more.

Marabou Operative 7: I won't hesitate!

That's when Jackdaw kicked an operative in the stomach, releasing their grip. Xeno shot them and he stumbles to the ground. He tossed one of his Ravens to Jackdaw, and the two ran up and shot the last operative. Xeno put his gun away.

Lion: Okay... deep breaths.
Xeno: You good? Both of you?
Jackdaw: Yeah, we're fine. Good job kid.
Xeno: Good. Any injuries? We can get Lark to take care of those.
Jackdaw: I think we are fine. Lion, are you ok?
Lion: Yeah, I'm fine.
Xeno: Good. Let's round em up.

The next hour or so was spent getting the rest of the operatives down. They all met up at the meeting room.

Lion: We owe it to you guys once more. You saved our lives.
Artemis: We're just glad you're all okay!
Robin: Me too... we'll take a break for far longer now. We have no idea how they got in to begin with.
Jinx: Doesn't matter. It's been dealt with, and that's all that matters.
Jackdaw: Good. Now, you all deserve rest.

They all went their ways... back at Marabou's base, Crusader was expecting them to return. They never did. An operative walked by.

Crusader: You, where is the squadron I sent for the ambush?
Marabou Operative 9: They haven't responded in forever. I think they took them out.
Crusader: Damn it all... Onyx can't destroy my organization. I won't allow it.