1.0

"Everyone's looking for you." It was supposed to be a happy day. A blessed day. The coming together of two families. A merger of sorts that had been in the works for almost two decades.

"I don't think I can do this, Kookie." There was such despair and fear contained within his brother's voice and he wanted, desperately, to be able to save him from this. But he couldn't. No one could.

"I know, Chimmy." Had his sisters felt like this too when they had been practically sold off? Would he feel like this when his arrangement was finally made? "I won't say it could be worse, because honestly... this is pretty bad. But at least it's Yoongi."

"The union of the Jeon's and Min's." It was meant to be sarcastic, but really, Jimin just sounded tired. "It isn't fair. If the Kim's hadn't -"

"They were never going to accept any of us." Out of all the families left still clinging to the old ways, the Kim's definitely had the tightest grip. That they were also the most successful probably had something to do with that. "Especially not for their oldest."

"But why? I don't get it, Kookie. I'm exactly what Namjoon wanted."

"Because your last name isn't prestigious enough."

"I fucking hate my last name. I can't wait to be out of this family. The only thing I'll regret leaving behind is you."

"Don't, Jimin. Having regrets will only tie you to us."

...

Watching his brother get married against his will while the object of all of his misplaced affections sat in the front row beaming beside his parents and younger brother was the hardest thing he had ever been forced to endure. That his sisters hadn't been invited wasn't that surprising. They weren't really part of their family, after all.

Somehow their eldest brother had managed to make it, and he stood near the back, cringing at every single line as it was spoken. Jungkook felt it down to his very soul.

...

"Son? Could you come here for a moment?" He had, pretty effectively, been trying to avoid his family all evening. But of course there would come a time when he no longer could. Thankfully he held much less disdain for his mother. "There's someone I would like to introduce you too."

"Of course. Coming mother." Reluctantly he pushed himself up, straightening his jacket and tie before running a hand through his hair and moving to join the circle of people she was in.

"There you are my darling." She beamed at him, proud to have produced the one and only alpha in an entire line of Jeon's.

"Is this the young man you were telling me about?" A woman a bit older than his mother spoke, looking him up and down as if she were judging a prized cattle instead of a human being.

"Yes. This is my son, Jungkook."

"And he is a pure Alpha?"

"He is, yes. My absolute pride and joy."

"And how long until he becomes of age?" He wanted to scream that he was right there, but he didn't dare to open his mouth.

"He'll be nineteen in six months. Plenty of time to make the arrangements, yes?" His mother sounded desperately hopeful, and he spared a glance towards the table he had just left, only to see his elder brother staring at him like his eyes were about to pop out of his head.

"As you know, Mrs. Jeon, Seokjin is my only omega son." She said it with her nose so far up in the air Jungkook was shocked her head didn't just tip all the way back. "It's very important that we find the right match for him."