Chapter 16: The Complication

"Be careful," Delwyn told his wife as he saw her party off.

"We'll be fine, Delwyn."

The prince suppressed a shudder – it had been a while since Reina had started using his name and it still sent a thrill down his spine every time he heard it. It was especially incredible to hear her soft, low voice calling it over and over as he repeatedly filled her with his tumescent flesh.

"Keep her safe, Baltic, Drake."

The mermen nodded. He waited until the carriage was out of sight, before returning into the palace himself. As he returned to his office, he passed by a familiar junction. He used to travel by it on a daily basis – it led to the Empress's wing. He paused at it for half a second, then continued back to his study.

Osharus was waiting for him in the room, together with the jeweler. The latter was a stout merman that cleared his throat and bowed as Delwyn entered.

"Your majesty. I've come to show you the finished pieces you commissioned." The jeweler, Marquess Portland, waved to his assistants, who opened up a series of flat boxes to present the three pieces to him. The white gold necklace was made out of a series of intertwining branches, many of these branching out to curl around small cuts of green-tinged sapphire. The necklace was light and tasteful, despite the expensive materials used to make them. It had a matching pair of dangling earrings. The third piece was a silver bracelet with a transparent turquoise gemstone hanging off it.

"They're perfect. I don't see any need for alterations. Make sure they're delivered to the consort on the day of the New Year's Ball." In truth, Delwyn wanted to order more accessories for his wife, but when he had tried to gift her one of the remaining pieces from his family vault, the priceless blue diamond brooch that had been kept in the family for generations, she had rejected it.

"Delwyn, I have no need for expensive items. While I understand the need to present a certain image of illustriousness as a member of the royal family, I am not fond of the idea of spending taxpayers' money on anything more than the bare necessities. I would rather that wealth be diverted back into improving the lives of the citizens."

Then an opportunity fell in his lap – the New Year's ball. That was the perfect excuse to get her jewelry under the excuse of it being a necessity. But he knew he would upset her if he went overboard, so he decided on the three pieces, all of which had been recommended in part by the palace's personal tailor. After listening to Sylvia's obsession with fashion for as long as he had, he understood that the jewelry had to match the dress.

Incidentally, Reina's ballgown would also match his... and the rest of the royal family's. For the last two years, Delwyn had broken tradition and worn green to the New Year's Ball, instead of the dark teal and silver that were the colors of the royal family. He had done this, of course, for Sylvia. This year, as Reina was his legal wife and a member of the royal family, they would be able to proudly display the royal colors to all.

The jeweler left and Delwyn returned to his desk, his eyes falling on the chair Reina used while she was in his office, on the opposite side of the desk to where he worked. He smiled fondly at it.

An unspeakable bond had formed between them ever since she'd divulged her family background to him nearly two weeks ago. Nothing much had changed in their day-to-day activities, beyond Reina now referring to him by his given name, but he felt... happier.

This was starkly juxtaposed to his relationship with Sylvia.

"Sire," Osharus began. "About Lady Sylvia..."

Delwyn lifted his eyes from the document in front of him, one of a diminutive pile of about twenty documents that were left on his desk. The worst of the paperwork had passed and thanks to his and Reina's combined efforts, his office was more devoid of paperwork than it had been in decades. "Is it as I had suspected?"