Chapter 18: The Epiphany

Delwyn yawned. He turned to look out his window and noted that it was past midnight. He had been at his desk, reading through a report and had forgotten the time.

Reina will be deep asleep by now... Reina had been sleeping more as of late. She often took a nap during the day and wouldn't awaken until late the next morning. Laiken has assured them that it was a normal symptom of her progressing pregnancy, combined with Reina's relief over the success of her business.

The stores had opened a week ago and had been a major triumph. So much so that she had to hire more people immediately, to meet the demand of the people. Reina had left the palace almost everyday since the grand opening to check on her business and he was worried she might strain herself.

So he was being thoughtful in his own way. He didn't trust himself to behave while sleeping beside her, so he retired to his own room for the fourth night in the row. He still went to have breakfast with her when she finally woke up, but he didn't want to be tempted to ravish her body while she needed sleep.

Was this room always this big? Delwyn wondered. He had grown accustomed to sleeping in Reina's, which was much smaller than his own. The bed seemed too big as well, and cold. He sighed as he changed into his nightclothes and collapsed amongst the sponges.

His arms felt too empty, without Reina there. He grabbed the second pillow by the headboard and cuddled against it. He would have to make do with this for the night.

"It's such a beautiful wedding," someone murmured nearby. Delwyn tugged at his collar, feeling uncomfortable.

"Need some help?" Sylvia asked beside him, gently helping him to adjust the collar. But he just felt more suffocated.

"Thanks," he replied gruffly.

The music started playing and he lifted his head as the double doors on the other end of the hallway opened, exposing Reina.

She was wearing a wedding dress. It was unlike the type of wedding dress a bride would wear when marrying into the royal family, but it was also more beautiful and complex than the one she had worn to their wedding. Her cheeks were rosy and flushed and though she kept her face composed, there was a look of excitement in her eyes.

Reina hurriedly stepped through the hall, seeming like she couldn't wait to get to the front. He watched as she passed him and he eyed the open back of her dress that exposed the indent of that spine. Memories of him marking and kissing that skin repeatedly floated to the surface of his mind.

She got all the way to the front of the wedding hall and smiled at the merman waiting there, immediately taking his hand. His heart ached so badly that he thought he was going to die.

"My love? You alright?" Sylvia seemed to have noticed his discomfort, but he couldn't tear his eyes away from Reina to look at the siren.

When the merman professed his vows to Reina, she cried. And then they were kissing each other as proof of their bond. Even after the kiss was over, they couldn't seem to look away from each other.

"Look at how in love they are," someone commented.

"Beautiful. Like they were always meant to be."

"I envy them their honeymoon! Seems like it's going to be a passionate one."

Delwyn stared at the woman who used to be his as she became someone else's. He was so shocked that his voice stuck in his throat, rendering him unable to voice any of the protests building in him. It scratched at his throat, begging to be let out.