THIRTY SEVEN

A Special One-Shot Story For Our Mothers!

Title: MAME

Isang magarang kotse ang sumalubong sa akin paglabas ko ng paaralan. Kulay itim ito at mahahalata mong kabibili pa lang.

"France, anak! Sakay na."

May nagbukas pa ng pinto para makapasok ako sa kotse. Hindi ko na lang iyon pinansin dahil wala namang bago para sa akin. Niyakap agad ako ni Mame nang magkatabi na kami sa likuran.

"Kamusta ang araw mo?" Ngumiti pa siya sa akin at hinawi ang takas na buhok sa pusod ko.

"Mame, bakit may ganito na naman?"

"Hindi dapat mame! Mommy dapat ang tawag mo sa akin, anak." Sinuway niya pa ako pero ngumiti pa rin pagkatapos.

"You're just wasting your money. Hindi ka na sana umarkila ng kotse."

"Hindi ito arkila!"

"Don't tell me..."

Napasapo na lang ako sa aking ulo at pumikit habang minamasahe ang sentido. Problema na naman 'to!

"Mame, hindi naman kailangan ng mga ganito. Sinabi ko na 'di ba?"

"Pero baka ma-bully ka na naman. At saka, marami pa naman akong trabaho. Huwag kang mag-alala anak," Sagot niya sa akin at muli akong niyakap.

The truth is, we're not rich. Isang palabas lang ang lahat. Hindi naman ako ang may gusto nito pero hindi ko talaga mapigilan si Mame.

At ang rason? I was bullied way back in elementary because of lacking in money and other sources. This is the solution she made but it's not good for her. She's always overworked for my expenses. I'm always guilty every time I see her massaging her back and her legs.

Bumilis ang pagdaan ng mga araw at dumating na ang final exams namin. Hindi naman ako masyadong kinakabahan because I reviewed my notes yesterday. Yep, it's happening today! And I am a graduating student. I am also running for valedictorian and I want my mother to be happy because of it.

I was about to enter the cafeteria but someone intentionally tripped me that made me faced the floor.

Bumangon ako para umupo pero hindi na ako nakatayo dahil pumalibot sa akin ang buong tropa ni Meerna. Sila ang mga bully rito sa school. Hindi ko alam kung bakit ang immature pa nila para gumanito at kung bakit hindi sila nak-kick out rito pero hindi na lang ako lumalapit sa kanila para walang gulo. Pero nandito sila ngayon! Nakapalibot sa 'kin.

"Look at our double-faced queen! Hahaha! Did you already check your phones, guys?" Meerna smirked at me.

Nagsinghapan ang lahat ng nasa cafeteria pagkatapos nilang tingnan ang mga phones nila. I also checked mine.

"Our Double-Faced Queen France Is A Poor Girl!"

That's what the trending news says and with pictures! How did they?!

"What's wrong with being poor, Meerna?" I asked.

"Oh! You just confessed!" She said and everyone laughed.

Am I being bullied again? Cause I hate it.

"You are just nothing in this school, France. You don't have the right to act like a rich girl."

I stopped her from talking, "You don't know the reason why. All of you are just people who's always ready to judge. And you don't have the right to accuse me of being a double-faced!"

I ran as fast as I could before stopping to breathe.

Bakit ganito ang lahat ngayon? Walang ibang ginawa kundi manghusga ng pamumuhay ng ibang tao. Hindi nga nila ang ang mga totoong pangyayari pero sige pa rin ang mga masasamang komento.

I didn't know that I already reached the gate and I'm thankful that my mother's waiting for me.

"Mame!" I hugged her tight before letting myself burst into tears.

She's my everything. My playmate when I was young, my best buddy until now, and she's my great mother.

Who cares if they knew that I am not rich? Who cares if I will be bullied again? Who cares if I'll get pancake mix in my hair everyday?

I have my mother.

---

"Our Valedictorian, Franciana Agustin. Let's give her a round of applause!"

Today's our recognition day and no one can be happier than me today!

"Ahm. I am not rich. I didn't pay my own tuition. I can't buy what I want. But I am standing here in front of you as a valedictorian," I started.

My mother's crying while watching me giving my speech, and I am sure that it's tears of joy. I made it! And she's probably so proud of me.

"I was bullied when I was in grade school because I can't afford to buy a luxurious bag. And my mother knew it. She did everything for me. And I want to sincerely thank her today," I stopped for a while to wipe my tears.

Everyone is listening to me and they are all probably wondering why I am saying these things.

"She was always sick because of overworking. She made me a rich girl but she's in our little house, working every second, barely breathing but still trying to live for me. That's why I became a valedictorian."

I smiled at everyone before wiping my tears again. I don't want to ruin my make up today, my mom did it.

"I became a valedictorian because I promised her that I will pay for everything she did for me. I want to make her happy everyday but I can't. I just can't. So yes, I am standing here, because of my mom. If she didn't show me how hard it is to live everyday, I won't be here. She's my first in everything. My first teacher, my first best friend, my first crying shoulder...I just really want to thank her. And I want you to know, that I am proud of her as much as she's proud of me. Mame," I stopped again before walking down of the stage.

"Mame, tara doon sa taas." Hinila ko siya dahil nahihiya raw siya, pero wala naman siyang dapat ikahiya!

Nang makabalik na ako sa stage kasama si Mame ay humarap ulit ako sa mga estudyante at mga magulang.

"She's my mother and I'm proud of her. She's the reason why I am giving my speech here. And every student who's given a chance to attend today, please don't waste your opportunity to do your best, and love your mothers. Because before you do the hard things, they already did the hardest. They are the reasons of our success and we must thank them for staying beside us."

Our mothers are our wall. The wall that protects us from being hurt and the wall that makes us feel safe.

Let's give more love for our mothers!

It's not too late.

Happy Mother's Day!

#

errooooors and lame!

i forgot to post this. loool.