chapter 3

I made my way to St Gregory Street. About two miles from my house. I noticed the buildings, flower garden of some of the occupants houses. It was very lovely.

I stopped in front of Darren's house. I knew within myself what I wanted to do might be a mistake or the right deal; anyway either of them is welcomed.

"it's me." I said as I knocked on the door. The door opened to reveal to me, Mrs. Stephen; Darren's mum. "good evening ma." I greeted as soon as I saw her.

"good evening ciara. Do come in." she said as she opened wide the door for me to enter.

I went and sat down on the couch while I waited for her to lock up the door.

"so how have you been doing? It's been long since I last saw you. How have been your studies?" she asked as she took a seat closest to me.

"it's been all fine." I responded.

"and flora?"

"flora is okay. As we speak I bet she's having fun with Mary and gab." I replied wearing a smile.

"you mean your aunt Ann is around?" ms. Stephen said as she crossed her legs.

"yes ma and she will be staying with us for a period of three days." I responded.

"oh! I see. So what should I get you. Tea or coffee."

The expression on ms. Stephen face when she said 'oh! I see.' Made me wonder for a while. It was a kind of expression that meant something was going on.

"ciara?" ms. Stephen called to me.

"oh! You were saying?"

"what would you prefer. Tea or coffee?"

"em. I would go for tea."

"okay. Make yourself comfortable while I make you some tea."

"thanks ma."

Ms. Stephen left for the kitchen to make the tea. I checked the time on my wrist watch and it was almost seven o'clock.

Waiting a while for ms. Stephen, I stood up and wanted to keep myself busy by looking around. I noticed this beautiful painting hung on the wall of the side of a room. The painting was unique and on that painting I discovered it was a painting about a place. The place in that painting was a very unique one that I felt myself drooling in it. I raised my hand to touch it when I heard...

 "ciara?"

"yeah." I said as I rushed to the sitting room.

"I thought you already left." Ms. Stephen said as she handed the tea over to me.

"thanks ma." I said as I took the tea and placed it on the table

"no need to mention."

"ma?" as I usually call her.

"would you stop calling me ma? I told you countless of times not to. It's either aunt or mum."

The word mum affected me deeply, then I remembered my mum and so much wanted to burst down in tears.

"are you okay?" ms. Stephen asked me

"yeah. I'm okay." I said holding back my tears.

"I'm sorry. Did I say something wrong?"

"no. not at all ma. I mean aunt. It's just that... where's Darren?" I asked trying to change the subject.

"he said he was going to meet his girlfriend which is you right?"

No ma. It's not me but my best friend Miranda.

"oh! I guess we kind of missed each other. I must leave now aunt." I said standing up.

"so soon. Why don't you finish up your tea at least."

"oh I'm so sorry aunt but I must run along. Thanks for your warm gesture."

"My pleasure. Do greet your family." She shouted across.

"Okay aunt."

I left her house hurriedly and when i was out of sight, i clumped to a tree as i cried my eyes out. I mean was it that easy for him to just replace me in a twinkling of an eye? But nevertheless i sucked all the pain in as i went on home making sure to comport myself against Dad and everyone else at home noticing my condition. 

"Good evening dad." I greeted my dad just as I entered the sitting room.

"Ciara! Where have you been since I returned? And your car was parked at the garage." He said as he closed the newspaper he was reading.

I really wanted to cry at that time but I held it in. "I went to see Miranda." I said feeling all sober.

"That reminds me. I saw Miranda and Darren together at the restaurant where I had lunch with my business investors; their mood was that of a happy couple. I thought you and Darren were a couple." My dad asked me with kin interest.

I remembered the day Darren had come over to my house to ask dad for permission to court me. He faithfully promised my dad never to hurt me and never to make me cry but I guess he never really kept his promise.

"We broke up dad."

"Broke up? Why? What happened?"

"Nothing alarming and you shouldn't worry. I'm okay." I said trying hard not to cry.

"so you mean to say you just broke up with him for no just reason. Is that it?"

"no. what I meant was that it's just a couple misunderstanding. It's nothing you should worry over. I can handle all of it." I said faking a smile.

I knew dad was still not convinced at my answer. But still no matter how much Darren and Miranda might have hurt me, I still wouldn't want to destroy their reputation before my family.

"if you say so but make sure he doesn't hurt you. If he does so, then he will have to answer to me. " my dad said as he looked at me. I smiled.

"okay dad. I will head up to my room now dad." I said about to turn.

"one last thing." He said to me.

"yes?"

"Morena is coming to visit and staying over for holiday."

"really? Morena is coming?" I asked all exited.

"I knew you will cheer up. She's on vacation so she wants to spend it here with us."

"when is she coming over?" I asked.

"by next week precisely."

Morena is my dad niece. She's the daughter of my dad's  younger sister. Though we may come from different country, as she is a Mexican, that didn't subdue our friendship. She was able to be fluent in both English and Spanish. Her ability to be dual really made our friendship even more stronger as she taught me Spanish and also stories of Mexico.

"uph!" I groaned as I landed on my bed. This day had been so stressful for me

I brought out my books to study for my test for the following day. "where's my book?" I asked randomly and that was when I came across the handkerchief.