chapter 6

Chapter 6

I had practiced the breathing in  and out several times before I managed to step in the school building.

Just half way in getting in, I had a call from behind. A familiar voice at most. I froze at the spot because I was scared who exactly it might be. I thought it could even be Miranda since the voice was femine.

I thought the voice would go away but it kept on calling my name then I knew whose voice it was.

"Rosette!" I called back when I turned and knew she was the one calling. She was our class captain, club leader and also my friend.

"ciara!" she called back when she met up with me panting.

"what's with you? It seems as though you lost your breathe. Why were you running?" I asked as I dipped my hand in my bag and brought out a bottle of water. "here. Drink this. At least get your self together." I said as I handed over the bottle of water to here.

she took it and swallowed. "tanks ciara. You're a life saver." She said as she returned the water to me.

"why were you running like that. It doesn't seem normal for you to come so late to school at this hour. So why were you so tired?" I asked as I supported her on my shoulder and I noticed she was holding a black nylon. "what's this." I asked referring to the nylon.

"this is chemical." She responded.

"chemical? what are you using it to do?" I asked her.

"it's not me but that brat Miranda. Look what she did in class. Decorated the white board with permanent marker saying 'Darren is all hers. Nobody can take him away from her.' That's what she wrote and I had to go to the nearest chemist shop to purchase this. With even my lunch money. That Miranda makes me sick." Rosette replied while leaping on a foot. "thanks to her, my foot hurts."

I just smiled at the story rosette told me. That even made me know how desperate Miranda could have wanted Darren for herself. She might have even paid him to sleep with her. The thoughts of it gave me goose bumps.

"don't mind her. She's just looking for attention." I replied smiling.

"from who? Me? Hell no! why would I pay that crazy bitch attention when I haven't given myself one. she would have to wait a hundred years for that. If it would happen." Rosette said as she continued to leap. "I would never forgive her for this. I really want to repay her in her own coins." Rosette added.

"it isn't from you she wants attention. It's from me." I said smiling.

"why you? Besides how come she is now dating Darren? I thought you both were a couple." Rosette asked me. "oh! No! don't tell me she- she- stole your boy friend from you-you?" she asked in amazement.

I stared at her and smiled. Though she is my friend there are still some things I cannot disclose to her. I smiled again.

"it's nothing. Just let it pass. Besides it's in the past." I said as we both walked to the class.

Entering the class, I looked to the board and saw exactly what rosette had earlier told me. Miranda had even gone to the extent of drawing both her and Darren holding hands together. Kissing and even sharing a meal together. I smiled at her childish thinking; she knows that Darren isn't hers that's why she had to decorate the white board with different markers. I smiled again and made way to my seat.

Not wanting to be distracted by the noise making, I plugged in headset and began to review  since the teacher might take some time in coming in.

Just going through my books, I briefly recalled what Angela had told me the day I last came to their house:

"let's talk." I turned and saw Angela's hand on my shoulder. I quickly pushed it away in disgust that she even had the nerve to do so.

"don't you dare touch me again." I said in anger.

"why? Do you really want to speak to Miranda withstanding the fact she had hurt you? I don't think so." I turned facing her eye to eye as I spoke to her.

"so you do know what your sister did right?" I asked her.

"of course. Who wouldn't? why wouldn't you leave her alone? Can't you accept the fact Darren chose Miranda over you." Angela said.

"of course yes. After what I saw back then. Who wouldn't?" I then remembered how she had ran to hug me and how I felt happy when I sobbed her. "then why did you pull that stunt of acting to like me and by hugging me?" I asked her.

"of course. I knew you would come to ask about Miranda so didn't you think it was wise to have acted as though I was happy to see you even when I was disgusted." Angela said.

"Am not surprised. You are just like your sister right? So pathetic. Okay message passed. But remember this you both are bitches and would die being so." I said as I walked off and came to abrupt stop when Angela said;

"just like your mum?" I turned at what she said and looked her in the eye.

"what did you just say?" I said now in fury with my fist clenched tightly.

"why? Angry? At the truth?" she giggled for a while. "so pathetic." She said as she made way inside.

"stop right there. Finish what you already started."

"no. you finish it." She said shutting the door and likewise I was shut from my trance.

I was taken to reality by the entrance of our teacher; Mr. Eugene as he shut the door and made it to his table holding his suitcase on his right hand and piles of paper and his left.

"sit down class. We don't have enough time on our side today. Before we commence our planned test today, I have two things to say to you all." He paused for a while as he stared into the eyes of every member of my class cleared his throat and continued. "firstly, the result for the international quiz has already been brought out."

As he said this, I was so thrilled inside of me. 'really? So would I make it to the final quiz then?' I thought as I asked myself individually praying I passed the quiz exams since it will determine my abrupt entrance into the university on scholarship and also fulfill my deceased mum last wish.

"so I would love to congratulate you all. I was really impressed with you all's  performance. Though the names haven't yet been handed to me officially I know so many of you made it. So in preparation to this I have designed the class group project that would help those that made it to the quiz be essentially ready for the main quiz."

I heard a tap on my shoulder, turning it was rosette.

"I hope we would be partners, ciara." She whispered to me.

"I as well." I whispered back. Just then I turned backwards to see Miranda. It was usually her I would have loved for us to be partners since we were always chosen as such. I felt my eyes teary just as looking at her so I quickly turned back and faced downwards since I couldn't really control myself any longer.

"so for the second announcement." I heard Mr. Eugene say while I still bent down my head. "we have a student joining our class today. I wouldn't encourage you call him new because he isn't at all new though. So please welcome our newest member of this class; Craig Newton. " everybody in the class applauded him though I was still bent down, after I perceived his perfume, I knew there was something familiar with him.

"thank you." I heard him say. That voice. That voice was familiar. "I really look forward in spending time with you guys." The voice again. Lifting up my head, I discovered it was no other than the handkerchief guy.