chapter 12

Just going far away was what I really planned on doing. I was afraid. Really afraid of so many things at that point.

Maybe because I was really afraid of losing Darren, or afraid of what Miranda was really capable of. All these I was really scared of as I made my way to the garden. My secrets hide out.

This was a place that had a very sentimental value to me. It was the place where Darren had proposed to me; as his girlfriend. It was here we had our first kiss.

I could remember that very day. It was very clear and fresh in my memory. A day I would never ever forget, no matter what may happen to me.

THREE YEARS AGO.

I was on my bed that faithful day. Still mourning my mum though. We had buried her a month ago, but I felt she was buried that very day.

I refused to leave my room, take my bathe or eat my food. The pleas from my dad to at least drink a cup of water fell on deaf ears as I continued to cry out. Calling every hour for my mum.

"C'mon baby, if you don't eat, you will fall sick." My dad said to me that day. "at least just drink a cup of water. It could sustain you."

"I don't want anything dad. I want mummy."

"but mummy isn't here anymore. Mummy is with God in heaven."

"why don't she just take me along with her. Besides I hear that heaven has enough space. It could accommodate us there."

"you want to leave with her and abandon your sister and I here? Is that what you want?" I kept quiet for a while. I didn't utter a word.

My mum had countless of times entrusted my sister in my care, asking me to look after her. If I joined her this early, I wouldn't fulfill my obligation to flora but I really miss my mum. I really missed her.

"dad I really..." just in completing my sentence, nanny Doris came in.

"sorry to interrupt your discussion but ciara, you have a guest."

"i? but I'm not expecting any..."  just in completing my sentence, I saw Miranda rush through the door all hysterical.

"ciara! Ciara!" she called out loud as she dropped down on the bed.

"Miranda? Are you okay?" I asked her as I saw how exhausted she was.

"Miranda? Is everything okay?" my dad chipped in.

"sir! Ciara! It's Darren."

"Darren? What happened to Darren?" I asked as though my whole life depended on finding out the answer.

"Darren. He... he... well he..."

"what? Tell me? What happened?"

"maybe you both should calm down. Most especially you Miranda." My dad advised. "breath in and out." I dad urged Miranda to follow the pattern. After about 10 seconds of the demonstration, she relaxed. Sipped the water that nanny Doris handed over to her.

"now tell me. What really happened to Darren? Is he okay? What happened? Spill the beans Miranda?" I asked even more hysterical.

"well Darren fainted." She finally confessed.

"fainted?! When? How? Why? Where?!" I asked all at once.

"maybe you should calm down ciara. You know you haven't eaten since yesterday. Save your strength."

"ciara, I suggest you follow me right now, because... well"

"well what?"

"Darren may die anytime soon."