chapter 8

Chapter 8

I didn't know whether to scream, faint or whatever. How could I and Darren be put together as partners in a group? It would only remind me of old times and I would have difficulties moving on. I thought as I bit my fingers.

"what?!" I heard Miranda shout from the back to the front. Of course I knew she will go psycho. "excuse me sir but how can you put her with my boyfriend as partners?" Miranda asked Mr. Eugene in a rather disrespectful tone. I turned back to see the reaction of Darren but he seemed rather calmed and relaxed and let his girlfriend make a fool of herself in the class.

"pardon?" Mr. Eugene responded to Miranda.

"sir, this is unfair. I mean-" she was cut short by Mr. Eugene.

"miss Miranda. I would not tolerate you speak to me in such tone. If you don't want or like your group partners then you can forget doing the project. But I must warn you, it would affect your grades terribly." Mr. Eugene said as packed up his papers. "so for the groups A,B and C do make sure you come to my office as soon as you are through with your next class for your project. If that's okay then I must take my leave. Good morning class!" Mr. Eugene said as he walked through the door.

"good morning sir." The class excluding me responded. I was busy thinking how I would exactly face Darren when I heard a stamp on my table.

"let's talk." Raising my head, it was Miranda who looked fierce and angry.

"about what?" I responded trying to act calm.

"you bitch. Don't try to act cool with me. You think I don't know you had this planned from the onset? You really are so pathetic right?" she said to me as all the class kept quiet listening to us. At intervals I glanced back at Darren hoping he comes to take her away but then he just acts cool sitting as though it doesn't concerns him. I glanced to my side and saw Craig looking at Miranda with rapt attention.

Since no one wanted to come to my rescue it best I do it my own way.

"what do you mean by that?" I asked her as I saw rosette standing by my side.

"I know you had earlier paid him to put you and Darren together as partners in this project. Is this how low you are ciara?" Miranda asked me. I looked at her and short laughed.

"do you really think I would do that? And why would I want to do that? For what reason?" I asked her. Looking at her.

"because you want Darren for yourself. You haven't accepted the fact that Darren dumped you for me right?" I looked at Miranda as she said this. Then I saw Darren walking up to us but then turned to the door and walked out of the class without uttering a word.

I looked after him, hoping he would come to my rescue and tell them that was not true but I guess I expected too much from him.

"that's not true. I have already moved on. I have accepted the fact that Darren chose you over me. So why are so insecure?" I asked Miranda as she stared at me with a hurtful glare.

"and how would we know you didn't use any other means?" she said as she folded her hand.

"what you talking about?" I asked her as I glanced at Craig who probably was enjoying our childish argument.

"you may not have begged the teacher but you may have sold your body for that. Perhaps isn't a new thing in your home right?" Miranda said as she looked at me. I was lost. Very lost. What does she mean by that? I thought.

"listen Miranda, you have no right what so ever to bring in my family in our discussion. So you better-"

"just admit you must have slept with Mr. Eugene so that he can put you together with Darren." I looked at Miranda with my mouth ajar.