13

Betty walked outside, spotting jughead looking at her, seated underneath a tree in her front yard.
"Hey." Jughead looked up at her.
"Hey." Betty plopped down next to him, pulling out a cigarette and a lighter. Jughead looked at her.
"Where the hell did you get that?"  He yelled and got up.
"My house." She started to light it, but jughead ripped it out of her hand and threw it on the ground, smushing  it with his foot. "What do you hate me too?" She got up.
"No, I'm trying to protect you, Betty." His voice raised without intention.
"Literally everyone says that, jughead." She said as the rain began to pour. She started to walk away from the conversation, she wasn't really in the mood for him.
"Where are you going?" He walked after her.
"Somewhere other than here." She walked faster.
"Talk to me, before you go off and do something stupid!" Jughead grabbed her shoulder making her spin around.
"You've done enough!"
"You're the one you wanted me to stay in the first place!" Jughead threw his hands up in frustration.
"So this is all my fault?" Betty asked.
"I never said that!"
"Just leave before I say something I don't mean!" Betty continued to walk, as the rain poured harder onto her head.
"No!" Jughead caught up with her. She turned to him and slapped him across the face. Betty banged on his chest with every breath she took.
"Now will you leave?" She cried.
"No." He told her.
"Why?" Betty looked him in the eyes. She continued to hit him repeatedly.
"Betty, stop." He said, "Stop!" He yelled.
"Why?" She continued harder.
"Because I love you." Betty froze, not from the rain, but from Jughead's fifteen letter sentence. "I love you, so don't do this." He got closer to her. She just stared at him. She didn't know what to say.
"Why would you say that." She blurted out.
"What?" He looked at her puzzled, "because I do." He confessed.
"Well then stop." Betty pushed him slightly away as she inched back.
"I can't just stop loving you, betty." He paused, "that's just not how it works."
"Why are you still here?" She asked, brushing her hair out of her face.
"Do I have to say it again?" He asked. Betty began to cry as she sat on the sidewalk. He followed her action and put a hand on her back.
"What's going on in your mind right now?" He asked.
"You." She looked at the ground.
"What about me." He leaned closer to her, smelling the scent of her strawberry perfume.
"I'm just waiting for you to leave me for Polly, just like everyone else." "I know it sounds petty, but that's how I feel." She finally looked up at him.
"That's not going to happen." He told her, "if I really wanted your sister, I would be trying to explain myself to her, but I'm here with you, because I love you. I don't love your sister!" Jughead let out.
"I love you too." Betty confessed. "I'm sorry for all of this, I'm just still trying to process everything right now." Jughead wrapped his arm around her.
"I understand, it's okay." He confirmed.
"You do?" She asked.
"Yes." He kisses her head, and they laid there for a while, letting the rain soak them.