How Long?

The first thing you heard was the sound of muffled voices, stirring you from your sleep. You rubbed your tired eyes, your fogged mind taking a moment to process what was happening. But quickly, you sat up, staring towards you door as you searched for the source of the sound. It sounded like it was coming from the other side of the wall, out in the hallway. You furrowed your brows, slipping out from under the silky sheets and wrapping a robe around you before you made your way towards the entrance. You leaned your ear up against the wooden surface, trying to make out what was happening in the hallway. You could hear two voices, and could understand a few words, but not too clearly.

"Who are you?" One asked, the identity of the speaker still muffled. You couldn't make out the response, but someone spoke, their tone threaded with aggravation. "I'm--" The first voice spoke again, but you couldn't understand again. You rolled your eyes, wrapping your hand around the handle and slowly pulling the door open. When you did, you immediately wished that you hadn't, your eyes falling on a scene that made your stomach drop to the ground. 

The first thing you saw was Kylo, standing with his shoulders tensed a few feet away in front of you, his jaw tight and his eyes narrowed. But not at you. As you turned, your eyes fell on Alex, standing next to the door with his helmet removed, his face a mixture of confusion and what looked like anger. You shivered. 

With a quick snap of his neck, his gaze turned to you, his eyes flashing as if they were on fire. His lips were pulled tightly into a straight line, not his usual cheery smile. You just stared back at him, not knowing what to say. But he spoke first.

"Does someone want to tell me what the fuck is going on?" He hissed, his teeth bared. You opened your mouth, but only silence escaped as you glanced between him and Kylo, your heart beginning to slam. 

"I'd like to know, too." Kylo suddenly mumbled, shifting his weight to one side, his shoulders slumping. 

"Um--I, uh..." You stuttered, your cheeks burning. You cleared your throat. "Alex, this is Kylo Ren." You paused, gulping, "He's the prince of the First Order."

"I know who he is." He seethed, his voice cracking with anger. 

"Okay..." You whispered awkwardly, looking to Kylo, "Kylo, this is Alex. He's my, um...personal guard." As you spoke, you could feel heat radiating off of Alex's body, which was now quivering. Kylo just continued to stare at you, his eyes thinning further. 

"Is that all I am to you?" Alex whispered, "Or do you just not want to tell your new fiancé that you've been fucking me for years now." Your heart crumpled at his words, Kylo's expression shifting from aggravation to shock, then just going blank. Your lip trembled. 

"Alex, stop." You pleaded, your eyes beginning to water.

"How long have you been sleeping with him?" He breathed. You could hear the pain in his voice, seeping through each syllable. You didn't respond. "How long?" His voice cracked again, his eyes getting misty. 

"I--" You didn't know what to say. There was no response that would make this okay. You sighed, your hands shaking as you instinctively reached towards him, but he slapped your arm away, recoiling his body. 

"Oh no," He shook his head, "You don't get to touch me anymore. Not ever again." Your face fell, your heart feeling as though it was cracking inside your chest with his every word. 

"I'm so sorry," Was all you could choke out, the tears now starting to drip down your cheeks, "I didn't mean for this to happen."

"I'm sure." He shook his head, glaring once more towards Kylo, who was standing as still as a statue, his expression still showing no emotion. But Alex whipped towards you again, a single tear trickling down his face. "I hope you're very happy together." He hissed, "And I hope he's everything that I apparently couldn't be for you." 

"No", You whispered, guilt creeping through you, "Please don't think that. You didn't do anything wrong."

"You're right." He scoffed, "I didn't." With that, he grabbed his helmet off the floor and pulled it over his head, his face disappearing behind the silver metal. Without another word, he stomped forward, his shoulder bumping harshly against Kylo's as he stormed past. Kylo didn't react. You watched as he walked away, your heart crumpling with every step away from you. You'd known that this was coming. The moment when you'd have to let him go. But it didn't make it any less painful. Any less heart wrenching. And the guilt you felt was crippling, nausea washing over you. After a few moments, your gaze fell back on Kylo, who was still completely still, his only movement the rising and falling of his chest. You stared at him, shaking your head disbelievingly. But he was the first to speak.

"I didn't know there was anyone else." He muttered, his jaw tensed. 

"I was trying to end it." You breathed, "I just hadn't found the right time yet."

"Is this why you were so against the arrangement? Because of him?" He stuck his hands into his pockets, his spine straightening. 

"At first." You sighed, "But not anymore." Kylo looked down at you, his eyes flashing with something unidentifiable. "I should have told you," You stepped towards him, "I'm sorry."

"Are you still in love with him?" Kylo asked, his eyes still thinned. 

"No," You said quickly, which was the truth. You didn't love him anymore. Not in that way, at least. "I'm not." Kylo nodded thoughtfully, his gaze falling to the ground. 

"I came to see you," His hands were curling in and out of fists, "But I think I need to leave."

"No," You tried, reaching for him, "Please," But just like Alex had, he recoiled from your grasp, your heart throbbing painfully.

"I'm going to leave." He mumbled, "I'll see you...another time." You nodded, wishing that there was something you could do or say to make him stay. But you knew it was probably better if he left. You needed to be alone for a little while. 

"Okay." You whispered, offering him a weak smile, which he didn't return. He just turned, walking away from you in a slow tread. You watched him leave, taking deep breaths to slow your heart and stop the tears from streaming down your cheeks. He ducked into the stairwell at the other end of the hall, disappearing from your view and leaving you alone. 

Completely alone. For the first time in a while. No Alex. No Kylo. Just you and your brain, going over every memory and forcing yourself to imagine how you could have done things better. But it was too late now. You couldn't take back the past, no matter how badly you wanted to.