Taking Back What's Yours

You walked along in silence, your eyes scanning through the gaps in the men around you. And as you went on, you noticed that, slowly, people began to walk along with you from the street sides, not uttering a word as they fell into place. You assumed that they were the rest of Poe's army, knowing exactly where they were supposed to be as they followed along. 

You glanced up at Kylo, who was trying his best to keep his head down, squatting uncomfortably to stay hidden. 

"Are you nervous?" You whispered. He paused. 

"No." He lied, gulping as he gripped the sword at his side. 

More and more people continued to join the crowd, the small group you started with turning into a mob of people in a short few minutes. You were pushed into the center as people started to crowd around, making your heart begin to slam in anticipation for what was about to happen.

Poe led the group through the streets, and you recognized a few of the places you passed as you walked along. But they looked much different than the last time you'd seen them, the walls of the buildings cracked and crumbling into the road. An auditorium that you'd given a speech at appeared by your side, and you winced as you glanced inside of the torn off doors, small fires still burning along the carpeted ground. 

But eventually, your eyes fell on the tops of the palace in the distance, and immediately, your stomach dropped to your feet. Your face went pale as you imaged the inside of your home destroyed and looted, your mother's dead body left to rot, and your father still missing. Kylo noticed the shift in your expression as you leaned forward, feeling as though you were about to vomit. He moved his hand to your shoulder, pulling your gaze towards him. 

"I know it's scary." He said in a low voice. "But you have to stay strong. We're taking back what's yours." You nodded, taking in deep breaths. "You can do this." He squeezed your shoulder, and you smiled back at him. 

"I know."

The gates were within a few hundred meters now, and the guards at the base of the wall had begun to notice the approaching threat. You could see them starting to point and scramble, grabbing weapons and forming a line in front of the entrance. Additionally, guards at the tops of the walls were beginning to arm themselves, aiming long silver guns down towards the front of the group. 

Poe suddenly called out something inaudible over his shoulder, and immediately, the people that had fallen into line behind you rushed to the front of the mass, stepping out in front of Poe and hiding him completely. They whipped guns from their sides in a flash, which had been concealed up to that point, and aimed towards the line of guards at the wall, cocked and ready. 

And with a loud, vocal cord shredding scream, Poe threw his hand into the air, firing off a single shot and charging forward. Immediately, the rest of the group responded, the mass rushing towards the First Order guards with their swords and guns at the ready. 

In the blink of an eye, war had broken out in the streets, gun fire going off around you and people colliding with swinging punches and kicks. People slashed at each other with sharp swords, splattering blood across the ground with a sickening spray. You yelped as a First Order soldier springing out from the sidewalk attacked the man beside you, knocking him to the ground and slashing at his arm. He fell with a pained scream, a large gash appearing in his bicep as he thrashed on the rubble covered floor. 

And as you stared at him, you felt your whole body freeze with terror. Your mind shut down, flashing white with horror as he bled out on the ground, his face twisted with pain. But you were snapped out of your shocked daze as Kylo wrapped his arm around your shoulder, yanking you along as he charged forward.