A Little Heart To Heart . . . Or Hearts

I felt my heart break as i understood what Cassandra had experienced inside that woman. The loneliness, the pain. I could feel tears on my cheeks again, and Cassandra didn't bother to wipe them away.

"That was your last warning, Cassandra!" The Doctor snapped, but stopped when he saw the tears. He and Rose shared a confused glance, before the Doctor crouched in front of me.

"Inside her head. They're so alone. They keep reaching out, just to hold us. All their lives and they've never been touched," Cassandra said, her voice sad.

The Doctor offered me a hand and Cassandra took it, pulling me up. He led the way to Ward 26, but almost immediately a woman charged at us.

"We're safe! We're safe! We're safe! We're clean! We're clean! Look, look." The Doctor insisted, showing the woman his hands.

"Show me your skin!" she demanded.

"Look, clean. Look, if we'd been touched, we'd be dead."

When the three of us had showed ample clean skin the woman nodded and the Doctor went into his serious mode.

"So how's it going up here? What's the status?"

"There's nothing but silence from the other wards. I think we're the only ones left. And I've been trying to override the quarantine. If I can trip a signal over to New New York, they can send a private executive squad," the woman told him.

"You can't do that. If they forced entry, they'd break quarantine."

"I am not dying in here."

"We can't let a single particle of disease get out. There are ten million people in that city. They'd all be at risk. Now, turn that off!"

I stood by Rose, the pair of us – well three counting Cassandra – just stood and watched the argument.

"Not if it gets me out," the woman snapped.

"All right, fine. So I have to stop you lot as well. Suits me. Rose, Alex – er Cassandra, Novice Hame, everyone! Excuse me, your Grace. Get me intravenous solutions for every single disease. Move it!"

Handing the Doctor all the drip bags with the cures, he strapped them all over his body like ammunition.

"How's that? Will that do?" he asked.

"I don't know. Will it do for what?" Rose asked as we followed him back out into the waiting room where he opened the lift.

"The lifts aren't working," Cassandra reminded him.

"Not moving. Different thing. Here we go," he put the sonic between his teeth and took a run up. Leaping into the shaft he grabbed the lift cable, attaching a round piece of equipment that seemed to look like a rotator to it. If i was right, it would pull him up and take him down.

"What do you think you're doing?" Rose asked.

"I'm going down! Rose, i want you to back inside and keep everyone safe, make sure they don't let any of the infected in, i need to keep Cassandra with me."

"Got it," Rose nodded, running back to the ward.

"Cassandra, Come on!" the Doctor ordered.

"Not in a million years," she refused.

"I need another pair of hands. What do you think? If you're so desperate to stay alive, why don't you live a little?" The taunt seemed to be enough, because she was soon running my body toward the lift. She jumped, landing on the Doctor's back.

"You're completely mad. I can see why she likes you, and no," Cassandra said, "i'm not talking about the blonde."

"Going down!" the Doctor said, grinning.