On Purpose

Maya's POV

I sat in the alleyway for what felt like hours until I heard a deep voice yell my name. I looked to my left and squinted at the blinding headlights of a truck. The silhouette of a man got out, making his way over to me. I soon realized it was Lucas.

"Hey." He muttered softly, staring down at me.

"How'd you find me?" I asked, looking up at him.

"I followed you after you ran out of the party" He breathed

"Oh" I muttered

"Can I give you a ride home?" He asked softly

I reluctantly nodded my head and got to my feet. I followed him to the truck and got into the passenger seat.

"I should've known you drive a truck, country boy" I said jokingly, trying to break the awkward silence.

"Can we just cut the bullshit and address the elephant in the room, Maya?" He said harshly

"Yeah, I'm sorry" I said in almost a whisper voice.

"I just don't know how to react. You make fun of me all the time, why did you kiss me? I mean I'm Riley's boyfriend, we can't do that kind of stuff." He blurted out.

"I don't know why I did it. Riley's my best friend and I'm honestly a bit drunk so that's probably why I did it" I said quickly

"I watched you the entire time we were there, Maya. You didn't have one sip of alcohol." Lucas said looking over to me.

"Stalker much? Maybe I should be the one mad at you.

"So did you mean the kiss or no?" Lucas practically shouted.

"No, I got caught up in the moment. It was a mistake, Lucas." I said with a straight face.

He looked over at me with an expression I couldn't really make out.

"Ok" he replied

The rest of the car ride continued in awkward silence until he pulled up to my apartment.

"Thanks for the ride, Billy Bob" I said with a smile on my face.

"Yeah no problem, see you Monday" He said with a half smile.

I got out of his truck and walked up to my apartment door. I unlocked it and walked inside. It was empty. My mom was at work at the Nighthawk diner. She has late shifts so I almost never see her. I walked to my room, opened the door and almost immediately flopped onto my bed. I know I told Lucas the kiss meant nothing, but I still couldn't stop thinking about it. If I did mean it, what the hell would I tell Riley? She would never forgive me. I don't even know anymore. I reached over into my bedside table's drawer and pulled out a joint and lighter. I don't smoke often, but when I have too much on my mind that I want to forget, I use it as a relaxation method. I slip into my pajamas and open the window to let the smoke out. I lit the joint and laid on my bed, hoping the weed smell would be gone by morning. Even if it wasn't, what does my mom care? One of the nice things about having a mom that's never home. After taking a few puffs, all my thoughts fell out of my head.