No Words

Maya's POV

After Lucas left, I headed back to my room to do some homework. Yeah I know, homework. Ugh I guess goody two shoes is starting to rub off on me. I flopped on my bed and opened up my math textbook. But I feel way too scholarly doing Algebra 2 right now. It needs that Maya Flair. I reach into my bedside drawer and pulled out a cigarette and lighter. I stood on my bed and pushed opened the rusty window to let the smoke out. I plopped back down and puffed on the cigarette while I did a few problems. I mean we're here for a good time not a long time, right?
———————————————————————-
After about an hour, I put my homework away and hopped off my bed. I decided to head over to Riley's house to hang out. We haven't talked in what feels like ages. I slipped on a pair of black combat boots and headed out the door. As I approached the Matthews' house, it felt foreign. Has it really been that long? I walked up to the door and knocked. After a few minutes, Mr. Matthews opened the door. He had a smile on his face, "Hey Maya, it's been a little while since you've come over"

"Yeah, just been busy I guess." I laughed awkwardly. He let me in and Topanga came over to hug me. It's like the family I never had, I mean my mom never hugs me.

"Hey sweetheart, how you doing?" She asked while pulling me into a hug.

"I'm good." I said vaguely.

"You smell smokey," she joked "Must've walked through quite the smoke cloud in your way here huh?" She joked.

"Yeah you know New York," I said sarcastically. If she only knew. She nodded and walked back to the kitchen to work on what looked like spaghetti and meatballs.

I made my way to Riley's room and opened the door slowly. She was sitting curled up at the bay window by herself, looking out the window. She quickly turned her head and gave me a weak smile, wiping what I think was a tear off her face. "Hey peaches," she said quietly. I made my way over to her and sat at the window. Without thinking, I pulled her into a tight hug. She looked like she needed it. Surprisingly, she hugged back, holding onto my T-shirt. I felt her start sobbing, so I pulled away and started wiping the tears off of her face with my thumbs.

"Hey, are you ok?" I worriedly asked

"I need to tell you something," she whispered, not making eye contact with me.

"You can tell me anything, Riles. Nothing you say could make me love you any less," I held her face in my hands.

She looked me in the eyes and hesitated. "Maya, I think I'm bi," she whispered.

I gave her a small smile and pulled her into a tight hug, "How the heck could that change our relationship? If it makes you feel any better, I am too," I chuckled.

"Wait what? You are? Why didn't you tell me?" She asked her eyes wide.

"I've always been more attracted to guys anyway and if I decided to date a girl I would tell you then," I replied cooly.

She looked at me in shock for a second and a small smile creeped onto her face. "Wow, that explains a lot actually," she said.

"What?"

"I always catch you checking out girls in the subway station, but I guess I just assumed you were looking at their outfits," she laughed, wiping her nose on her sleeve.

"Yeah well you aren't too slick either." I laughed

"What do you mean?"

"You're always staring at Sarah in history, I was waiting for you to start drooling." I snickered," "Let's just say I suspected it a while ago."

"Oh," she chuckled nervously.

"Wait. Is that why you were fine with Lucas and I dating? You just weren't into him anymore, huh?"

"Yeah kinda. It still hurt but I just felt me and him drifting. It sounds like he makes you happy, so everyone kind of won. I just wish he didn't cheat." She reasoned

I blushed, embarrassed, "yeah...I still feel unbelievably guilty about that, I never meant for it to go down that way"

"Hey. It's fine, seriously I'm good."

We sat in silence for a second. "Well if you're feeling better, I think Topanga is making spaghetti. Do you wanna-" I was cut off by Riley smashing her lips against mine, but quickly pulling away.

"What the hell, Riley?" I yelled.

A look of horror quickly spread across her face "Oh my god no I'm so sorry Maya I didn't mean to-"

"I should probably go," I got up quickly and starting walking away, feeling my face heat up into a bright red.

"Maya wait I'm sorry," she yelled behind me. I swiftly walked past Topanga and Corey, both of them looking at me confused while I walked out the front door. I just walked in confusion to the subway and all the way home, time stopping in it's tracks. I never really snapped out the foggy daydream. Did Riley seriously just kiss me? We've been friends all our lives and she throws it away to kiss me. What am I supposed to say to that? This is a fucking disaster.